LAKE ERIE Smallies

Familyfisherman

:huh:

That's it! I've watched enough shows where they bring in fish after fish and we just have to give that a try! Anyone have any suggestions as far as a launch in the Niagara area that provides easy access? I'm assuming if we check our maps for some humps in the 10-30 ft range with access to deeper water we'd find some fish? Glad for any input...

Thanks!

:huh:

That's it! I've watched enough shows where they bring in fish after fish and we just have to give that a try! Anyone have any suggestions as far as a launch in the Niagara area that provides easy access? I'm assuming if we check our maps for some humps in the 10-30 ft range with access to deeper water we'd find some fish? Glad for any input...

Thanks!

I have never done the walleye thing in Erie (don't have the gear to go deep) but the smallmouth fishing is awesome. What you might not get in numbers are made up for in size (a four pound average is not uncommon).

Senkos & tube jigs work for me and are as easy to do as falling off a log.

I think you are correct about the humps, find structure and you find fish.

I typically launch out of Port Maitland because it is free and central (and good) and the bait shop is right there if you need it. Plus if the lake kicks up you can go up into the mud puddle for some fishing.

Good luck!!

Jim

As mentioned Crystal Beach or SugarLoaf Marina in Pt. Colborne.

Find some humps that pop up to 12-15 ft of water and you should be in business.

Drifting with tubes is my favorite method, however spinner baits early in the day and even jigging spoons can produce very well.

Good luck...you will have a blast. Wait til mid October and shoot for a 6 plus pounder when they have the feed bags on.

Cheers

Craig

Crystal Beack ramp now charges $5. Better than Port C which is 10 i believe.There is a parking ticket machine, put your 5 bucks in and place ticket you receive on your dash. Good luck, a few friends told me it was on fire last weekend, of course i didn't make it out, i usually get to go when the fishing is a little slower :o:angry:

The biggest problem these days off Erie is the wind, the lake can pick up in a heart beat.

I like port maitland becuase its got river fishing or Erie fishing.

I went out on Sat before the storms and pulled in about a 4-5lb big Small mouth, there were lots of them on the finder or it could have been sheepies :)

Find a hump and go, Now that I have tried it I want more bass

Crystal Beack ramp now charges $5. Better than Port C which is 10 i believe.There is a parking ticket machine, put your 5 bucks in and place ticket you receive on your dash. Good luck, a few friends told me it was on fire last weekend, of course i didn't make it out, i usually get to go when the fishing is a little slower :o:angry:

WawawaWhat!! $5 now, drag man. Just when I thought all was right with the world....I won't pay after they pull the docks out.

Port C was $10 last time I used it. Plus another $5 in gas to get out to the Lake :P

I guess C Beach is still a better deal for me :rolleyes: .

Edited by dean's washing lures

Crystal Beach is a good free launch. Tube jigs in green or brown work well for me. Watch the west wind it can kick up pretty fast out there. Also bring an extra pail to put the gobeys in, don't live release them. ;)

I stand corrected...apparently it's now $5 to launch.

The biggest problem these days off Erie is the wind, the lake can pick up in a heart beat.

I like port maitland becuase its got river fishing or Erie fishing.

I went out on Sat before the storms and pulled in about a 4-5lb big Small mouth, there were lots of them on the finder or it could have been sheepies :)

Find a hump and go, Now that I have tried it I want more bass

They weren't sheepies Lex. they were smallies.

Remember too that when your buddy has one on, cast in behind him cause there is usually one or two following the fish that is hooked (waiting for him to spit the bait I guess).

Find structure and you find fish.

As far as finding a hump in the lake goes, well, I haven't been that lucky. But here's hoping :thumbsup_anim:

Jim

I'll be going with Familyfisherman on this trip and I'm hoping to get some fish for this report. I got skunked when I went out with Rich...but that wasn't his fault. I blame myself for not being prepared for top water bass.

So since we are hitting up Lake Erie for smallies I will be preparing for anything from 0-30 feet...I'm planning on bringing some tubes, live minnows, and live worms.

Anyone recommend any other gear I should bring?