Thoughts on sonar/fishfinders

johnnyb

So, my dad gave me a Humminbird lcr 400 id way way back....and I've used it over the years mostly as a depthfinder when fishing unfamiliar water. Here's a pic...should give you an idea of what "vintage" I'm talking about. (Sorry for the website in the photo...not advertising for them...just a useful pic)

008_02.jpg

Anyway...I've used it over the years as a simple depthfinder when fishing unfamiliar waters, and it does the trick. Only recently have I figured out that the sensitivity settings on this thing actually make a difference...and I can discern reasonable bottom structure and hardness. I'm not sure if I believe it yet when I see "fish" on the screen, but there have been a few times where I'll see something and get a hit...so maybe it can actually pick those out too. Just thinking out loud -- does anyone still use stuff this old? :dunno: I'm tempted to start using it more, now that I realize the features on it actually do something...but I wonder how much I'm missing out on with the new equipment available?

Okay...that stuff's insane! I imagine it's pretty pricey...but yes, I do see the leaps and bounds technology has made....wow. THanks for making that your first post, DMASTER...welcome aboard! Do you run one of these systems?

I use my sonar so much that I feel "blind" without one.

I've upgraded several units and have found that big and fancy doesn't necessarily catch more or bigger fish, sometimes it's the opposite.

I upgraded from a Humminbird Wide Optic (2400 watts) to a Hummin Bird 747C (4000 watts) last year.

I do a lot of Drop-Shotting and have found that I catch a fish any shallower than 25' deep while running the 4000 watt unit, I suspect the high powered unit is spooking the fish in shallower water.

I have recently purchased a puck transducer for my trolling motor and will be reinstalling my 2400 watt unit for shallow water fishing.

While the 4000 watt unit is real snazzy with the color screen and high definition, it is pretty much useless in shallow water if it's going to spook the fish.

I caught a lot of fish with my old 2400 watt unit and look forward to using it again!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

I use my sonar so much that I feel "blind" without one.

I've upgraded several units and have found that big and fancy doesn't necessarily catch more or bigger fish, sometimes it's the opposite.

I upgraded from a Humminbird Wide Optic (2400 watts) to a Hummin Bird 747C (4000 watts) last year.

I do a lot of Drop-Shotting and have found that I catch a fish any shallower than 25' deep while running the 4000 watt unit, I suspect the high powered unit is spooking the fish in shallower water.

I have recently purchased a puck transducer for my trolling motor and will be reinstalling my 2400 watt unit for shallow water fishing.

While the 4000 watt unit is real snazzy with the color screen and high definition, it is pretty much useless in shallow water if it's going to spook the fish.

I caught a lot of fish with my old 2400 watt unit and look forward to using it again!!! :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

So... your saying your catch percetage is based on what sonar you are using??

trs80_3.jpg

If the angler can't find the fish then he/she relies on technology to do it for them. Hey there's a fish on the screen, let's throw lures at it for a half hour.

IMO it takes the fun out of fishing. Stay with that oldie and use it for depth, would help to use the right size crankbaits, trolling and other things like that but crap like side imaging and stuff it's just not necessary.

There, not for all those people out there that find this true don't be afraid to send me your fish finders and stuff....I'm a horrible angler!!

MTBF

If the angler can't find the fish then he/she relies on technology to do it for them. Hey there's a fish on the screen, let's throw lures at it for a half hour.

IMO it takes the fun out of fishing. Stay with that oldie and use it for depth, would help to use the right size crankbaits, trolling and other things like that but crap like side imaging and stuff it's just not necessary.

There, not for all those people out there that find this true don't be afraid to send me your fish finders and stuff....I'm a horrible angler!!

MTBF

Ya gotta look at it like this Mike, most Bass fishermen are chunking lures from the boat to the shore... but the sonar is looking straight down... useless for that application... now if you're drop-shotting directly beneath the boat, different story!

... and then there's the Bass fishermen fishing from their boats casting as close to shore as they can get... and the shore fishermen casting from shore (in the opposite direction) as far out as they can get... have you ever thought aboot that???

... but they both catch fish!??? :dunno:

We have some older units on our boats at work. Even the bottom shelf models currently available blow them away in terms of accuracy and resolution. I had total confidence in the fish I marked with my $100 Fisheasy that I bought in 2002; I've got almost zero in the old units we work with. More importantly, I could pick up large individual tree limbs and other key habitat features with the Fisheasy.

Yeah, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion...I think I'll be ordering an x67c within the next couple weeks...my rationale is that I'll be able to use it for icefishing as well. Thanks for the feedback guys...not sure if it helped sway me one way or another...but it certainly helped bolster my predisposition do go get something new :lol:

Ya gotta look at it like this Mike, most Bass fishermen are chunking lures from the boat to the shore... but the sonar is looking straight down... useless for that application... now if you're drop-shotting directly beneath the boat, different story!

... and then there's the Bass fishermen fishing from their boats casting as close to shore as they can get... and the shore fishermen casting from shore (in the opposite direction) as far out as they can get... have you ever thought aboot that???

... but they both catch fish!??? :dunno:

Indeed they do, I always cast parallel to stay in a similar depth zone when off shore or a dock. And I only cast to shore in a boat when the area is covered in matted weeds or pads(snake fishing).

If the area I'm fishing from off shore has room for me to cast I'll 9times out of 10 throw the bait out to the side, but it depends what I'm fishing for, and where I think the fish might be.

When I'm out of college and fishing tournaments I'll let a few hundred bucks do all the work for me...Until then I'll gain my own pride when I find the fish...not the generously proportioned or sonar.

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

This "new" lowrance technology has been around for over 20 years. Notice in the video how calm the water is, which is necessary for narrow beams. If the water has any bounce to it the side scan will be useless.

i have a old bottomline that has this side finding tecnology i believe it's a 1993

i use an old Humminbird portable, probably bought it in the late 90's, still does the trick for me, mainly locating humps, shelfs, reefs...

Anyone see the commercials for the new Garmin colour unit on OFC, supposed to be relatively inexpensive. Just wondering if anyone has used them before?

so... If you did use a sonar you would not catch much?

I do use my sonar, and I catch my fair share!

How many fish do you catch?... and why haven't you ever posted a fishing report?... or even started your own thread (topic)???

The next time you have your pic taken for your avatar, you need to wipe your mouth off... it looks like you've blown a seal. :rolleyes:

Blowing seals....that sound serious........

I have had many different sonar units from the Lowrance old green box to my most modern one, a Lowrance LMS 520c.......using each I have learned a lot about how to read bottoms that can show hard bottom, rock, mud etc....... using them and studying them all the while you are on the water makes you a much better angler. I could read fish even with that first old green box model from Lowrance from back in the 70's.....

With all that said the more powerful new units that are available today are the cat's meow, especially now with GPS and Navionic's mapping. If you fish big waters this is almost a must have, but not so much for those fishing very small lakes, ponds or small rivers.

The unit that you have shown in your first post was one of the top of the lines in it's days.......it's very capable of reading fish.

BTW I have never had a problem with the more powerful units scarring fish in shallow water applications.

I do use my sonar, and I catch my fair share!

How many fish do you catch?... and why haven't you ever posted a fishing report?... or even started your own thread (topic)???

The next time you have your pic taken for your avatar, you need to wipe your mouth off... it looks like you've blown a seal. :rolleyes:

I don't bother posting reports because :asshat: like yourself usually put people down because of the way they hold their fish or show too much in their pictures...

Besides... who needs to see some joe blow holding dinky bass without his shirt on standing in his boat with the same grin on his face with the same dam behind him....

I was asking a QUESTION... no need to get defensive..

hoser2.jpg

Edited by Shore_Lunch

When I'm out of college and fishing tournaments I'll let a few hundred bucks do all the work for me...Until then I'll gain my own pride when I find the fish...not the generously proportioned or sonar.

I think you're way overestimating how much of the heavy lifting a quality sonar does for you. The thing is, while you find tons of great looking spots that could potentially hold fish, many (sometimes most) will be unproductive. Sometimes you can see the fish, sometimes they're obscured by the cover. Even when you find fish, there's no guarantee what species they are, or if they're feeding. While sonar opens up a much wider perspective for you on what is going on down there, it also presents you with a lot of difficult decisions to make. I'd avoid knocking things I haven't tried.

I don't bother posting reports because :asshat: like yourself usually put people down because of the way they hold their fish or show too much in their pictures...

Besides... who needs to see some joe blow holding dinky bass without his shirt on standing in his boat with the same grin on his face with the same dam behind him....

I was asking a QUESTION... no need to get defensive..

So you're telling me you don't know how to hold a fish, take a pic, use a sonar unit, or take a little abuse??? <_<

It's probably better that you don't post reports though... because thats a catfish in my pic you posted, not a Bass. :rolleyes:

Burning Babies Posted Today, 04:55 PM

I think you're way overestimating how much of the heavy lifting a quality sonar does for you. The thing is, while you find tons of great looking spots that could potentially hold fish, many (sometimes most) will be unproductive. Sometimes you can see the fish, sometimes they're obscured by the cover. Even when you find fish, there's no guarantee what species they are, or if they're feeding. While sonar opens up a much wider perspective for you on what is going on down there, it also presents you with a lot of difficult decisions to make. I'd avoid knocking things I haven't tried.

You got that right BB!!! ;)

Not much more frustrating than seeing fish on the sonar that won't bite! :angry: ... you don't know if it's the wrong species, or if they just aren't hungry! :rolleyes:

Makes me wish I had my boat rigged up for depth charges! :w00t: