Do you always throw back the big fish?

bhearsum

I feel much more educated on the subject, that's for sure.

Well that's good then. Your topic was worthwhile... and not only for you.

There's a bit more of a divide than I expected - I guess it's the sport vs. food mentality.

Yep. Myself, I prefer a combination of the two. I love catching fish (and releasing them) but I don't tend to short-change myself on fish for the table. My family and I like eating fish too much.

Some of it is a matter of opinion, though (eg, "big fish taste bad"). If I ever catch something big I probably will keep it the first time to see for myself.

I guess it's more of a "big fish don't taste as good" thing. I must not be that discriminating because I can't really tell any difference between 1 lb pickerel and 5 lb pickerel once the fillets have been battered or breaded, and fried. You'll have to decide for yourself, as you say.

I always throw the big fish back. Would only consider keeping one if it was a world record, and I might very well throw that back too. I've only ever keep fish for that night's meal, and at that, it would a few smaller ones then a big one. The meat is better on small ones and there is less toxin build up in several small fish then one larger fish. I take no issue if others want to keep large fish or keep their limit everyday.

Edited by scuro2

It is difficult to argue with success. We have seen improvements in most lakes and in lakes like Nippissing that now face more pressure than ever before with sustainable populations. Given the pressure on Nippissing that is quite an accomplishment.

My experience with big walleyes is different because of where I live. A 6 pound walleye is an average fish on Lake O. I, however, would not eat one because of the possible toxins and because I am still weary of this area of the lake and its ability to maintain the population. The Niagara to T.O. stretch of Lake Ontario has seen a huge return of walleye and it didn't really happen till after the slots were put in place. Coincidence?? I don't know. But I am not going to take the chance and miss getting another 17 pounder. The one in my avatar is 16...right out of Lake O and others have had many similar experiences. So far there has been a general unwritten consensus amongst those who know where these fish are that all fish that can be returned will be until we have an idea on the population and the level of toxins in these fish.

Personally I think we have a great mix of sport and food fishers. There is nothing wrong with taking home fish to eat and we have all at least come to the point that we understand it is a finite resource and we have to be responsible.

It is a learning curve for all of us and civil discussions like this help to further the cause.

I commend and applaud all you guys in this thread for being civil and respectful...thank you!