Rattles in Crank Baits...

Fishnwire

I remember when rattles inside crank baits first started to become popular. Only a few makes and models came with a rattle, but consumers (and fish too) seemed to love them, more and more manufacturers included rattles in their minnow-type crank baits. Everything from deep running plugs to top water cranks come with a rattle now...it's hard to buy a bait that doesn't have some kind of "clacker".

Now, we all know fish definitely get conditioned...as fishing pressure increases, the fishes' aggressiveness towards presentations they're familiar with dwindles. I`m starting to wonder if fish aren`t getting conditioned to the sound of a rattling crank bait. If a fish has been caught two or three times on a crank bait, it almost certainly has heard the sound of a rattle at least once. If the fish associates the unusual sound with the experience of being caught and released, that rattle may as well be a fish warning alarm.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Fishnwire

I know that the Cotton Cordell Wally diver still doesn't have rattles.

I, on the other hand will think that colours are more important for crankbaits. If you have the key colour of the day, it doesn't matter what rattles and what type of crankbait you have.

All fish are different. Some remember sounds and, given vocal chords could probably belt out a decent John Prine. Others remember colours and, given arms and hands could most likely do some amazing watercolours. Yet others, are content fondly remembering their last spawn.... :dunno:

I know that the Cotton Cordell Wally diver still doesn't have rattles.

That's weird, because all of mine have rattles in them!

Wow, that's a surprise! I have two that don't have them at all.

But upon checking their website, they do have rattles. Guess you have to buy the older ones if you don't want rattles in yours.

I'm gonna invent a new lure with a teeny little recorder inside with a recording of a sultry female bass/walleye/pike/musky voice whispering something like "Hey Big Boy. Wanna get lucky?"

JF

... and what would that sound like? :w00t:

Fishnwire, many of the companies have been introducing product lines that are available with both rattles and without. Lucky Craft is releasing their newest Pointer, the Silent Pointer and Rapala just came out with the DT Thug which is a Balsa wood bait with no rattles or weight transfer system... Most of the Japanese baits that I fish also come in both choices.

I think you are not the first with those thoughts and on clear lakes the silent baits can definitely make a difference at the end of the day!

JP