How to Charge a Batter

fishinggeek

I'm in the west end of Toronto. So much information! I didn't plug anything in as I don't want to damage anything. Should I buy a 24V charger, or get an on-board charger, or both? With an on-board charger, how do I charge it if I'm at the cottage without an outlet nearby? I guess I might need both it sounds like. Can anyone recommend a good marine shop that can help me out that's relatively close?

I think I'm going to disagree with you on this one. When I bought my boat it was once owned by an electrician, and he had a 1.5A onboard charger in the boat. I have also read on this board that charging it slowly is best.

Can anybody else clarify this?

Here's some INFO that might be helpful for you.....

http://www.insideline.net/1996/puckett-1112-96.html

I'm in the west end of Toronto. So much information! I didn't plug anything in as I don't want to damage anything. Should I buy a 24V charger, or get an on-board charger, or both? With an on-board charger, how do I charge it if I'm at the cottage without an outlet nearby? I guess I might need both it sounds like. Can anyone recommend a good marine shop that can help me out that's relatively close?

You do NOT need both.......the onboard charger can/should be used while the boat is docked...just run a extension cord down to the boat...plug in and clean up that mess of fish while enjoying a nice cold Canadian beer....your batteries are being attended while you can do other things than worry about them......(you might need to purchase some 100ft extension cords).

Bob

Thanks for the link Bob! It's great and very informative. To complicate things, I'm going to put on a transom-mounted 12V trolling motor. Since my 2 batteries are in a serial connection (I'm sure of it), they're 24V. So now it sounds like I need to disconnect them, have one hooked up to the trolling motor, and one to start the engine?

Sorry about the hassle guys. When I bought the thing, the dealer who installed it said the main motor will do all the charging I need for the batteries and I won't have to worry about it, so it was never explained to me.

Since I can't return the favour, I'll be making a charitable donation for everyone's help. Much appreciated.

Edited by fishinggeek

I think I'm going to disagree with you on this one. When I bought my boat it was once owned by an electrician, and he had a 1.5A onboard charger in the boat. I have also read on this board that charging it slowly is best.

Can anybody else clarify this?

you do not want a trickle charger for deep cycle batteries

you want a smart charger

there are 3 stages to charging and the first part is charging with 10 to 20 amps till the battery reaches about 85% charge then amps need to be reduced so battery doesn't boil the rest is to bring it to 100 % and maintain it

http://www.batteries-faq.com/activekb/ques...hp?questionid=1

That's from my battery's website. If I'm reading it right, I should be charging at 20/10 amps, or 2 amps. I should start with the bulk charge with voltage of 14.4V and amperage of 10 amps. Then I go to absorption stage where I have 2amps and 15.5V for the last 2-4 hours. I won't even try to interpret the float and equalization until I understand the bulk and absorption charges. Am I right or wrong?

yeah that is good info

and a smart chargers will do that for you automatically

Phew! I'm glad I read it right. So I should do a float charge at 2amps and 8.8V every few weeks in addition to normal charging. How long should the float charge go for? And I should do a equalization charge at 2amps and 15.6V for a couple hours every month or two in addition to normal and float charing? Is this right?

Adjusting the voltage for the temperature seems easy enough.

Also to hook up my 12V electric motor, I need to disconnect my serial connection and keep 2 separate batteries or have them in parallel? If I do that, will it affect the starter at all?

Phew! I'm glad I read it right. So I should do a float charge at 2amps and 8.8V every few weeks in addition to normal charging. How long should the float charge go for? And I should do a equalization charge at 2amps and 15.6V for a couple hours every month or two in addition to normal and float charing? Is this right?

Adjusting the voltage for the temperature seems easy enough.

Also to hook up my 12V electric motor, I need to disconnect my serial connection and keep 2 separate batteries or have them in parallel? If I do that, will it affect the starter at all?

Relax and get yourself a Onboard charger that takes care of your marine deep cycle AND starting battery by just plugging the thing in..............I have a starting battery that has been pampered by my onboard charger for over 8 years now and it seems as strong as when new........

Relax and get yourself a Onboard charger that takes care of your marine deep cycle AND starting battery by just plugging the thing in..............I have a starting battery that has been pampered by my onboard charger for over 8 years now and it seems as strong as when new........

Is it the same as an intelligent charger, and if not, is it any better/worse? "Intelligent" charger sounds so much better. ;)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Au...y%2BCharger.jsp

Is that one a good one? It says it chargers at 15amps, but shouldn't I get one that can finish the charge off with a trickling 2amps?

WOW..........three pages on a simple "how should I charge a Battery"............can't wait until what oil should I use........LOL :P

What part of the "ONBOARD CHARGER" that is specifically designed and manufactured for marine use that we are having trouble understanding ? ? ?

Call it the smart charger, onboard charger, intelligent charger or DAH charger over there it's still does the exact same thing to charge and maintain your expensive marine batteries..............