moon river advice

tightline

Hey all was wondering if anyone had been to the moon river?? A friend and I are going next weekend and am having trouble finding info on the river...Am looking for boat launch info, hot spots, camping...anything that may help improve our trip...were looking to go in around Bala and spend the night on the water camping...is this possible up there?

Yep, that bait shop is open. They will have all the info for you. We just got back from Gravenhurst and got to fish the river one morning. We fished the first narrows from the Bala bridge. There was a huge hump in there and got bunch of small mouth. It was supposed to be a great Eye spot but we didnt get any....

Good luck.

Moon river can be tough but is home to some legendary fish and has ample camping opportunities area make sure to have minnows, original rapalas and a white spinnerbait to throw. Target rocky points and along bluffs. For some reason the fish like smoke and pumpkinseed plastic and black wooly buggers. Brown rapalas are outstanding either cast or trolled. Some recent fish caught from the moon:

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

View from a crown land campsite at sunrise

IMG_0221.jpg

Ya ditto the mouth...

Its a tough body of water...I've never found it to be outstanding in terms of numbers, but she grows some monsters.

Also if you don't know the area, please take it slow.

Lots of hidden rocks and shoals, and the low water levels the past few years have really made for some bad spots.

Locals have done a good job with marking some of these spots with white jugs, but still there are some hidden bombs out there so be careful.

Well tommorow is the big day weather is not looking promising but were going any way...just thought I would bump this post and maybe get some last minute advice...Hope this works out been wanting to do this trip for years...any advice would be appreciated...Thanks all

hey tightline!

the moon's prolly one of my favourite spots in central ontario to fish, postcard scenery, MONSTEROUS fish!

the bite can be tough as the fish are always moving in there but i find a sure fire way to land ANYTHING is to fish captain allan strait, up n down, side to side, all day/night.

its a high traffic zone for baitfish coming from the open to the river. its pretty much right across (west) from moon river marina. check your map. AND if you venture past the mouth of capt'n allan, WATCH FOR ROCKS

good luck, report back!

The only part of the Moon River where you can camp is the mouth. You have to enter through the Massasauga PP.

When you guys say "mouth" you mean from 400/69 down right? I thought that whole stretch was Crown Land?

a lot of you are confusing the area this guy's fishing (bala) with the moon river basin.

clofchick, anything from woods/arnolds bays out to the big water is provincial park and fees apply.

We went in at Pete's Marina and got camping passes...Camped in a beautiful spot on Captain Allen Straight and caught fish all weekend long actually stayed an extra day!!! I have some great pics but can't figure how to reduce and post....read some posts on it and it said photobucket...tried and said this sight no longer accepts that as reputible site??? If anyone can help got my PB Musky and would love to show it off...my buddy got a must see Catfish in the dark...me waist deep in the water with a headlamp in the pitch black trying to net this thing....SCARY!!!!....but we got it and the pics to prove it...any help would be great

That is too funny! I was the one futher up this thread that suggested that you go here. What did your buddy lose around dinner time Friday night? It looked like he had a big fish on the line.

I think I heard you say something about 60 ryes when you were going out on the boat one morning. You were likely repeating what one of us said by the campfire one night right?

Did you read my post a few pages down about the bear?

When it comes to posting pictures, you can post them on this side and then create the link. Here is the link to the instructions: Posting Photos

He lost a Largemouth in the 7-8 lb range it was a monster came flying out of the water 3 or 4 times then made a clean break on 20 lb braid!!! He was to say the least upset....what a great place that is the campsites were awesome we had stellar fishing all weekend even thought the weather was not lets just say ideal...I would say you guys would know but you never got up until 1 pm and missed half the rain...but we had a fantastic time as I'm sure you did (wasn't hard to tell on either of our parts I'm sure) and will definetly be a repeat offender me and my buddy are HOOKED!!!!