Carp Baits

rocheleauc

Hello there,

Lately I've been fishing with carp, tried corn, maize, luncheon meat etc. All tied on hair rigs with no sucess. I'm going to try making boilies with a recipe i found online, but was curious if theres any shops in toronto or the area that have them pre-made which I could buy and save the hastle of me making them. Any imput would be appreciated. Cheres :Gonefishing:

Fish Ontario behind the service station on hwy 400 northbound. They have an assortment of Tandem boilies. Hope this helps.

Edit: Angling Specialties on hwy 7 have tandem boilies. If you want to order check out a new Ontario carp store http://newworldcarp.com they have awesome shipping prices.

Edited by DanielM

Hello there,

Lately I've been fishing with carp, tried corn, maize, luncheon meat etc. All tied on hair rigs with no sucess. I'm going to try making boilies with a recipe i found online, but was curious if theres any shops in toronto or the area that have them pre-made which I could buy and save the hastle of me making them. Any imput would be appreciated. Cheres :Gonefishing:

If you do not mind ordering them try this link to the OFC members business directory. I was very pleased with what I ordered and the price.

If you do not mind ordering them try this link to the OFC members business directory. I was very pleased with what I ordered and the price.

Yeah, that's a good online store for carp stuff, I burned a few hundred bucks just this month .........

But like Victor says, I don't think it's the bait, there aren't many places in Ontario where boilies will outfish sweet corn or maize. Where you've been fishing and how? Maybe some of us can help?

just been fishing the rouge river near lake ontario, as well as bluffers park marina, always using hair rigs, with a few pieces of corn/maize, I chum the water as well. I've never had any luck, I usually go for 2 hour periods and nothing <_<

just been fishing the rouge river near lake ontario, as well as bluffers park marina, always using hair rigs, with a few pieces of corn/maize, I chum the water as well. I've never had any luck, I usually go for 2 hour periods and nothing <_<

Those two spots are not action packed swims. Two hours should get you something if there are hungry carp around. Time of day you tried also makes a big difference. This morning I spent two hours in a swim where I caught 10+ in 3 hours two days ago in the evening, and didn't even get a bit this time (only thing caught was a big turtle :blush: It doesn't mean the swim isn't productive. Bait used is a big factor but wrong time, wrong tactic, wrong weather, wrong place are more important factors than bait. If sweet corn / maize don't work, I don't think using boilies will make any difference if you don't change other things.

IMHO, boiles are only superior if there are other non-targeted species around and carp are of certain size, or they have been introduced to boilies. When sweet corn can be used (no gobies, no smaller fish like chub), you can never go wrong using it.

Best way if you are starting, is to hook up with other carpers near you and start from there. You will learn a thing or two even if you don't catch. And it's always the blanked sessions that you learn more from. Good luck and happy carping.

Hello,

Stephen sells my boilies through his site, as well as by appointment at his store. Checkout www.forbsiescarpcandy.com if you want the full selection. I have just released a new line of glugged boilies, that you might be very interested in as well.

Cheers !!!!

Mark

Ah Sucess! I got a small one at the rouge river yesterday, too bad I didn't have a camera, In the process of preparing the maize, I used a lot of sugar, something I never did before. I'm hooked now, Any other good places to fish for these things in the Toronto Area?

I really think carping is about location over bait choice for the most part. I tried last year at the mouth of the credit for days with no luck.

This year I switched to a nearby spot and have scored 3 carp over 30" in just over 2.5 hrs of fishing. It sounds weird but I was basically using a steelhead float setup with corn instead of roe. Its been working like a charm.

I really think carping is about location over bait choice for the most part. I tried last year at the mouth of the credit for days with no luck.

Ditto on the point about location. It's easier to fish a natural 'carp highway' than it is to try to attract them to an area that they may only use during one part of the season - For example, carp might only use shallow bays and marshes during the pre-spawn and spawning periods. A few weeks after the spawn, the entire bay (which probably held several hundred if not thousand fish) could be entirely devoid of all but one or two stragglers. After the spawn, most fish seek deeper water or cruise deep channels wherever they can find them.

Here's a link which shows opportunities around the GTA for fishing

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/STEL02_163569.pdf