Clip on line counter

Dabluz

I've, unfortunately used both the Rapala and the BPS model. In all honesty, they work, but if your going to be fishing in any adverse circumstances, ie cold, rain etc... I'd be inclined to steer away from them.

The can be very finicky, they don't like cold weather and they require you to keep an eye on them at all times, as I found the line was always jumping out of the slot.

If you can afford it, I'd reccommend a line counter reel... and NOT the Okuma! Think Sealine here!

HH

I would also stay clear of the rod line counters. I have found them to be fairly inconvenient, although better than nothing. You can get a pretty decent line counter rod and reel combo for an affordable price.

Check out Cabelas right now, they just had a combo on sale for $49.95. It was a Daiwa reel, I have used the model before, and they work well.

Lumberjack

Pidgeontroller, thanks for pointing out the new Abu Reels! I took a look and found out that they can actually be purchased as an addition to your already existing Abu C4 reel. Simply remove the "non handle side and bolt on the counter part and your good to go! My only question involves the longevity of the battery under cold weather conditions? From what I read, it uses a small watch battery to power it. Also, software inside the counter, will automatically convert the counter, based on lb test line being used. Great idea!

HH

I'm thinking of buying a line counter that I can attach to my fishing rod.

Has anyone tried them? What are your opinions about them? Which is the best clip on line counter?

I bought a rapala one a couple of months ago for $20 and it didnt work out that well for the rod that I was using. The rod was too thick for the clip. Anyways I only used it the once and if your interested in buying it its yours! Shoot me a pm.