Trailering Your Quad.

Fishnwire

When I trailer my quad into camp, the last few kms of the raod is barely even a road. The trailer bounces around pretty good and I have to stop and check my straps and chain every now and then. They usually loosen a little and the quad shifts on the trailer to one side. I noticed that it stays put a lot better if I strap the quad down real tight so that I compress the suspension on the bike almost all the way. My question is this: Am I wrecking the suspension of my quad by trailering it this way. It can't be good to compress it and leave it like that for the 2 hours it takes me to get in? What about loading the bike on the trailer the night before? Is it bad to leave the suspension compressed for extended periods?

Any experienced input would be appreciated.

No issues with the suspension being compressed for 2hrs or overnight, but I don't see why you would have to leave it strapped overnight? Just loosen off and retighten before your off in morning. I've set up the trailer with eye bolts for two rear straps so that they compress the rear springs approximatleyhalf way. Then i've rigged up an eye bolt at the front lower center of my trailer and I use my winch to lower the front end of the machine just slightly lower than the rear, then walk around to the rear and give the two rear straps a couple of more clicks to even out the machine. I've never had any issues with the machine loosening up, even on some rough terrain.

Hope this helps!

Just the winch cable, this way I minimize the amount of straps used. I've thought of the tire strap system, just thought there would have to be to many tie down points, and I'm thinking that your machine has to be in the same position everytime? Someone once told me that the straps should be strapped at a certain angle to minimize movement, I'm thinking more horizontal (45 degree angle) than vertical (up and down). but then yet this might just be common sense :huh:

hope this helps

You could make up some rigid anchors like with turnbuckles in them.

And I wouldn't tie with the winch.

If you use hooks, make sure they have safety clasps so when things bounce and loosen, the hooks don't unhook. :oops: