Did something productive at work today!

Well work has been soooooo slow lately it hurts. Seeing as how i have access to all kinds of fancy machinery at work, and when i saw how much they want for a decent cannon ball i thought i'd make my own. Wasn't too sure what the comparison of weight for steel v.s. lead was so i did a little research and found mild steel has roughly 2/3rds the weight of lead. The lead ones we usually use are ten pounds so i though i'd aim for twelve because of the bigger size/more resistance in the water. Made a quick design on cad, cut the steel welded her together machined on some large chamfers and voila. Ended up being 12.9lbs mostly because it took longer than i thought to make and i got too lazy to finish the other profiles i was hoping to put on. Anyways here she is and i hope it tracks straight!

cannonball.jpg

no way thats 12.9 pounds...i seen one half that size two nights ago in the dark it it weighed 2 pounds...lol...

nice job...i could use some " custom " balls let me know how they track ( might be a side thing for you if the price point is cool)

custom balls sounds funny eh ..?

I got to thinking about this ...

If in the construction of the unit ...you were to add thicker steel on ONE side ( mark it left or right) so the fish pulls away from the boat for shallow trolling depths)...then sandblast to virgin steel/ two coats of PPG DP 40 ( has rust inhibitor ) ...then topcoat with automotive paint ...( air brush salmon lookalike ) either in arcylic urathane or base clear

This may have potential...

just my .02

Appears I'll have to call your boss, :P you're doing well for innovate things, looks good. Believe it or not, some would say to leave the angle cuts rather than to smooth them out any more, it causes some noise and turbulence that attracts fish. Some of the models I've seen look like the dimples on golf balls.

Edited by Fisherman