Motor theft protection

sneak_e_pete

If somebody wants it, they'll take it. You can make it difficult for them though.....sometimes they'll move on to an easier target.

One of the best things you can do is to keep your boat in a visible and well lighted area. Stay vigilant.

There are all kinds of different theft deterrents that can be bought or made; but like any other type of lock, they’re only good for stopping a normally honest person from being tempted in sealing something.

So I would just wrap a chain or whatever on the motor’s mount; attach a pad lock and make it look secure; because if a thief wants your motor, they’re going to take it regardless.

I get a kick out of a few of my customers that leave their vehicle here at the shop over night and have one of those “clubs” attached to the steering wheel.

The club does everything the manufacturer says it will; you can’t cut it with a hacksaw or pick the lock. What they don’t tell people is that the vehicle’s steering wheel’s frame is made out of mild steel and it would only take seconds to cut the wheel with a hacksaw and slip the club off. All most locks are (as far as I’m concerned), is a pacifier for the owner; thinking that they have done something to secure their property. I like that feel good feeling too and lock my doors; but again that's all they're good for.

Dan.

I have a locking clamp around the clamp turn handles and a locking bolt much like that on a car's wheel through the transom. Not likely that anyone will take a 25 hp off because of the weight but I figure better safe than sorry. If it does get stolen then at least the insurance company can't say I didn't try to do anything to prevent it.

a 40HP is pretty heavy bud. My 40 evinrude 2 stroke is 225lbs. If the motor your getting is 4stroke its even heavier. Some punk will not be able to carry that. Even if there is 2 of them they will have a REAL hard time. The only way I see them taking a boat of that size is if your boat is in a REAL secluded area where they have alot of time to bolt it off. If anything they will take your whole boat/trailer. So get a trailer lock and coupler lock. Like Roy said though if they want it that bad, they will take it.

I wonder if they have such thing as boat alarms :lol: