NF - Free Standing Towers?

Hey guys,

Long story short, I've been using Xplornet Sat. internet (which is completely useless) but until recently I've had no other choice. Now they've got some upgraded towers that can provide speeds up to 5 Megs (so they say) via fixed wireless, but because of some tree lines, I'll need to put up an 80 FOOT freaking tower in my yard.

For those of you who are wondering how high an 80 foot tower is, the ones you see strapped to the side of peoples houses are give or take 30 feet, so mine will be more than double that height.

Anyways, does anybody here have any leads on possible used towers of that height? Or have any contacts with anybody who puts them up? Or have any of you put up your own towers? The quote I've gotten from the local guy here is just a hair over $3000.00.

Also, does anybody here use fixed wireless internet, and have anything good or bad to say about it? The last thing I want to do is drop $3000.00 on a tower and still have garbage internet.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Ryan

you better check bylaws cause 80feet is huge... and unless you live in the country, probably not gonna happen

not trying to be a knob, but i wouldn't want to see an 80ft tower in my neighbors back yard...

neighbors will probably be your worst enemies/problems...

Slacan sells stuff for this, you might want to check with them to see what they have/or recommend

you better check bylaws cause 80feet is huge... and unless you live in the country, probably not gonna happen

not trying to be a knob, but i wouldn't want to see an 80ft tower in my neighbors back yard...

neighbors will probably be your worst enemies/problems...

Slacan sells stuff for this, you might want to check with them to see what they have/or recommend

Hey, no worries I appreciate your input! I'm completely aware of just how tall an 80 foot tower is. I live in the country, in the middle of nowhere, and have a large enough property to put up a tower of that height without worrying about it falling into my neighbors yard. I've also already contacted the township and have met all requirements needed in order to legally put a tower of this height on my property.

Believe me, I don't want to put a tower on my property, but at this point my only other option is to pack up and move. And in today's economy I would almost certainly lose money on my house. I work from my home office and rely on the internet (heavy uploads and downloads) on a daily basis, and had I known that it'd be this difficult to get a decent connection out here I never would have purchased this house. I was told that I could get fixed wireless before purchasing the house, but wasn't told I'd have to put up a huge tower. Live and learn I suppose. On the flip side, we do love the house and property.

Why don't you get the Rogers Rocketstick or portable internet? Xplorenet isn't very good I've heard this from so many people.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/internet...ternetexplained

Longpoint has coverage for them I believe and it's around 40-50/month no more than most connections.

I'm actually in a little pod of houses called Frogmore, ON. Also known as the Internet Twilight Zone of Ontario. 20 minutes north from the lake. There's no Cable Internet, no Bell High Speed, or bell portable service, The rogers stick doesn't work out here, neither does Telus' stick. Even if they did work, I upload and download way to large of files, and would constantly run up my bills to hundreds of dollars per month.

My current monthly satellite bill is $115 per month, for speeds that are well under 1 meg, (6 to 700 k on a good day) and when I go over my daily limit, they crank me down to 1/2 the speed of dial up.

Jeeze Id be concerned about Lightening at that hieght ....

Have you investigated DSL ... or perhaps had a chat with local township about sharing costs for service ... also take a look at direct PC ?