Quarry Pit Bass & Pike

Rich

Me and my buddy Marc have been dying to get out again since he left for the military a year back. Well now he's back and we decided to head to a couple of quarry pits where I have never really fished besides through the ice. Great choice!

The second we got to the pits the rain started coming down. I nailed a half dozen tiny bass on a spinnerbait and a jitterbug and Marc nailed one on a jointed Rapala. There was a good half hour there where there was thunder, lightning and gale force winds surrounding us.. even the toughest of fishermen would get a little nervous in that, but we were determined not to leave and stuck it out.. even caught a couple more little bass. After the storm subsided we moved over to another pit and the weather became just beautiful. I waded in to a shallow spot and started chucking a chatterbait and nailed the one and only decent bass of the evening.

2-10.jpg

I'm normally all C&R.. but today I was just craving some fresh fish so we kept this bass to bring home and fry up.

Within 20 minutes Marc is tossing a Rattle Spot (perch colored) and hooks into something decent. When he saw it was a pike, he was like a kid who just won a bag of candy.. excited as heck. Whooping and hollering.. last pike he caught was when he was 6 years old. He wanted to take it home and I wasn't gonna argue.. I love fresh pike.

4-5.jpg

While attempting to show off my expert pike handling skills I received a nice battle scar courtesy of Mr. Toothy.

2-11.jpg

As the evening wore on we kept casting with only a couple more tiny bass to show for our efforts.. but we were very much satisfied with the way things turned out after toughing out some pretty severe thunderstorms.

2-12.jpg

2-13.jpg

2-14.jpg

I'd have to say that was the most successful trip me and Marc have ever had together. In previous trips, all we ever raised was suckers and tiny smallmouth. lol Marc was very excited to have caught a respectable pike. The fishing mixed with the great conversation and the thought of the thunderstorm will remain in our memory for quite some time no doubt.

Hard to beat an evening on the water like that!

That was a good read Rich :thumbsup_anim: good on ya's for sticking it out :thumbsup_anim:

Nothing beats a day on the water with great company and landing some good fish!!!

Just doesn't get any better than that B)

I bet the fish fry tasted real good....

Thanks for sharing

Leechman