Slot limit enforcement - Nipissing

Jonny

Slots have proven themselves to be one of the best management tools available to ensure a healthy population of catchable fish.

Would you guys be happier if they dropped the limit to only one or two pickeral?

I would be happier if they stopped netting during the spawing run.

Unfortunately C.O.'s are just like so many other "law enforcement" people, they are tax collectors for the government. Your buddy simply got a $180.00 tax for fishing.

If they weren't tax collectors, they would have other means of dealing with offenders. They could take away his fishing privilges, take his equipment etc... but instead, they fine him.

Tax collection through and through.

HH

The current regulation is in the image attached below...

I would be happy with a limit of any two pickerel, yes, only one of which allowed to be over 60 cm. And a "conservation" limit of one pickerel, not over 60 cm.

I would also be happy with some sort of a reduction of the native quota on Nipissing. The native fishery accounts for well over 2/3 of the allowable harvest of pickerel on this lake. I believe that is too high.

slot.JPG

Some of the responses have me puzzled. If we had no one enforcing the regs, everyone would be up in arms about that. No we have someone enforcing the regs and some are not happy about it.

The rules are clear, follow them and you have nothing to worry about. The regs put out now are far superior to just a year ago when you had to know your GPS coordinates to determine your slots and limits.

We are all responsible for knowing and following the rules..they are there for a reason.

Slot limits only work if they are followed and enforced. Nippissing is a great fishery for a reason.

We cannot do anything about the nets, so don't sweat stuff you have no control over. Do YOUR part and you can walk with your head high.

We fought hard to have the funding for more CO's and we (in part) got it. So, while it is unfortunate for the posters friend that he mismeasured the fish, it is great to know someone is watching.

The regs put out now are far superior to just a year ago when you had to know your GPS coordinates to determine your slots and limits.

Explain please. Maybe you're talking about the Western end of Nipissing (which I know little about recently, not having fished it in years)?

We cannot do anything about the nets, so don't sweat stuff you have no control over.

Not really sweating it. However it doesn't make sense to plug only one hole in the boat when there's a bigger hole (and no guarantee it won't get bigger yet). Netting IS an issue on Nipissing, even if it's an intractable one. I do support a native fishery, but not one that is flimsily regulated, which I believe is pretty well what we have now.

I would be happy if they dropped the limit to 2 any size walleye in Nipissing forsure. It is very frustrating knowing the slot fish you return into the lake can swim directly from your hand into a net.

Good point, I often find myself thinking just that.

It is also fustrating when others around have no rergards for the regulations. During the walleye bite on the North Bay shore, we were near another boat that seemed to be occupied by Americans. I must have witnessed them keep at least 4 fish that I'm positive were in the slot size.

Where are the COs then???.....Prob. charging a local for having one fish that is border line slot size.