GIS

super dave

I'm thinking of a career change and GIS sounds really interesting. I know a few of you have taken GIS programs and work in the field. If I could get some responses from you guys I would really appreciate it.

Which college did you take your program at and would you recommend it?

Did you have trouble finding jobs after graduating?

What types of jobs are you able to get?

Have any of you completed the program through online courses?

Thanks in advance!

Dave.

Hey

I went to Sault College, and found the program was excellent, however it did go through a number of teachers i believe since i been there, so i dont know how well its been, but i do know its still running. Many or most of us in that class were able to land jobs almost right away as GIS technicians or analysts, some here in Ontario and many headed to alberta and bc to work. If you are able to move to find work then finding a job in this field shouldnt be to hard. I have looked at taking university courses on line just havent gotten down to applying (or i really dont want the work load). Its a pretty cool job with some diversity in the work you can do, anything from Remote Sensing, Surveying, Producing Map, data collection, or on the rainy days, database management.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

the only thing i can add about the sault college program is that it is a post diploma program so you must have graduated from a related post secondary program - ie. fish and wildlife, forestry, geography, computers, etc. etc. etc.

other than that, i've had 4 friends go through the program and they all really like what they do.

Coincidentally there's a small section in the surveys chapter of the course I'm currently teaching in Hamilton and the students are asking me what the actual practical applications of GIS might be today. I can give them a hypothetical kind of answer but since you've outed yerselves, what are the most common applications of your work? Thanks for the help.

JF

Coincidentally there's a small section in the surveys chapter of the course I'm currently teaching in Hamilton and the students are asking me what the actual practical applications of GIS might be today. I can give them a hypothetical kind of answer but since you've outed yerselves, what are the most common applications of your work? Thanks for the help.

JF

John

Community planning and mapping is probably the most common application.

Have a look at the GNWT's GIS community mapping site.

GIS Mapping

Yellowknife GIS Interactive Map

Edited by DRIFTER_016

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

at this point GIS has infilitrated all sorts of the work force.'s Anything that can have info correlated with maps...

I have a cousin who works with construction. A friend who plots sewers etc... Friends who work in forestry... Friends who work in health care... another friend who works in watershed management with a conservation authority...

It's a very cool subject to get involved in but it's a good idea I would think to have a specialty...such as a 2 year college program in a related discipline or a uni- degree in something related. That way you have the GIS knowledge to couple with applied knowledge in a specific field.