Heart lake !

eze76

Anyone been to heart lake this year, was gunna go check it out soon , havent really caught anything this year -.-, ROOKIE FISHERMAN ^^

Any info on whats in there , and what i would use to catch em ?

thanks in advance

Heres some real old school ,way back when stuff for ya.

When I was in High school, I biked (peddle bike 10 speed) there everyday during the summer hoildays from the Glendale area.Oh the great times I had there.

Learned from watching other anglers.One angler in particular was catching the bows everytime he casted out.

Ask and watch.

Im not sure whats up on that small lake these days,many years later,but Im sure a day out there is better then a day inside.

Heres a hint to get ya started. Small worms with a floater,3/4 ounce slip wieght,split shot 3 ft from the hook.Cast as far as you can from the south shore.(that was the hot spot WAY BACK when)

Have fun.

Edited by misfish

Misfish has got you on the right track...a few years ago I went in there and the hot bait seemed to be the berkely trout mallows under a float...bright orange or pink. Just toss 'em as far out as you could...where I witnessed the most action was just past a thick weed mat, and wait. Good luck...hope you come up with a report for us :D

Back in the 60's and 70's we used to fish from 'the point' on the south shore ... cast a worm about 2 ft up from a bell sinker ... as far as possible .tighten the line to 'twitch-ready' and set your rod into a twig ( rod holder) and wait ... many a day spent there and many a trout the reward ...

I was up at heart lake maybe two weeks ago. There are a few shore fishing spots but are mostly swamped with algae. Didn't bring any worms so I was left to use spinners, flies, cranks. Caught small rock bass, pumpkinseed and large mouths on the fly. Apparently it is stocked with trout but the boat rentals aren't available during the weekdays so it is difficult to reach the deeper water.

-Dan

I used to fish Heart Lake a few years ago and the trout were mostly caught from shore using powerbait (the gooey stuff - in green or orange) that you would put on a salmon egg hook. Completely cover the hook with a ball of this stuff.

The set up I'd use is: tie a swivel to the end of your line with an egg sinker loose above the swivel (a good size sinker so you can launch it out there from shore) then tie a 2 foot 6-pound test fluorocarbon line to the other the end of the swivel and at the end of that line, tie the salmon egg hook.

Launch the line out there, let it sink for a few seconds so it settles to the ground, and then prop up your rod on shore and start tightening the line slowly. Once it is nice and tight, sit back and watch the tip of your rod. If it jiggles, set the hook and start up the barbecue.

Catfish, bass, bluegill, rock bass are also in the lake. If you do not use the powerbait, more often than not one of these panfish will get to your bait before the trout do...that is why you need the powerbait - seems to be liked only by the trout.

Also corn would work on the trout on occassion (the one from the can). But the catfish seem to like the stuff too so you are not always sure what is biting when you do get a hit.

Good luck.

Back in the 60's and 70's we used to fish from 'the point' on the south shore ... cast a worm about 2 ft up from a bell sinker ... as far as possible .tighten the line to 'twitch-ready' and set your rod into a twig ( rod holder) and wait ... many a day spent there and many a trout the reward ...

Misfish has got you on the right track...a few years ago I went in there and the hot bait seemed to be the berkely trout mallows under a float...bright orange or pink. Just toss 'em as far out as you could...where I witnessed the most action was just past a thick weed mat, and wait. Good luck...hope you come up with a report for us

LOL

That was a great spot,but was always taken earlly. That darn over hanging limb above,caught me more then once casting. I did manage to get that spot a few times and did well.

Did you ever rent a row boat and head out to the pump/spring? We would row out to it slow trolling a panter martin.Black with red dots.That was the killer spinner then.

Now I feal real old.Not as old as camillj :lol::lol:

Edited by misfish

I always walked around to the opposite shore and fished for rockies and largemouth. I used to ride my bike there as well Brian. Of course, unlike an oldster like you, my bike was not made out of wood. haha

Wish they would let me drop my boat in there...

I always walked around to the opposite shore and fished for rockies and largemouth. I used to ride my bike there as well Brian. Of course, unlike an oldster like you, my bike was not made out of wood. haha

Wish they would let me drop my boat in there...

I,ll let that wise crack slide there bud. :P

The north/west side produced both like you said, large mouth and lots of cat fish. I remember back then, when I caught me a small frog,hooked it on and tossed it out.Right off the bat I had a hit. Turned out to be a big ol cat fish. I was amazed. :o

That lake was a awesome fishery. Dont know what it,s like now. It was like,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SO MANY YEARS AGO. :D

As for dropping yer boat in there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol::lol::lol:

The "lurkers" are having a field day! :w00t: :w00t:

:lol::lol:

Dont forget to bring a pack of 12 doz hot dogs to cook on them outdoor bbq,s.

Lots of dried branches aroud to cook them up.

Oh, if yer ever asked where the T-bone steak went from the freezer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Boy the good ole days. B)B):D