Little Report

ciceri

So bass is now open, about time :P

Me and a friend went to our secret location in search for some bass, we were throwing a frog and jointed Rapala.

I started off the day with a nice 2.5 pound largie on my friends frog, nice hit too, sorry no pic of that.

Through out the day we missed and lost a lot of big Largies on the frog and a nice one on my Rapala, jumpers.

Then with my injured thumb I couldn't cast accurately, i saw a group of carp near the service of the water so i decided i would cast at them, but totally missed and landed right in front of a set of lilies, well i guess there was a largie sitting under there and came rushing out and grabbed it as I was reeling in, I didn't realize i had him until I saw my line going sideways as i was reeling in, a good hook set, couple jumps, and my friend netted him, took a pic and released. I'd say it was close to 3 pounds.

P1010001-1.jpg

Then monday i was by myself and decided to bike down to the river and try my luck. Figured I'd fish docks combined with weeds, I had no idea what to use though. Then i remembered i found one of those Senko's last year, and remembered seeing people on TV using them rigged up "wacky" style, so I gave that a shot. I started by bouncing it off some lily pads beside a dock and saw a largemouth come out from the dock, but he was just looking, then i dropped it down and a sunfish grabbed it and as i pulled it away from the sunfish the bass swam away :angry: so i left it down there and i wasn't paying attention and felt a nice tug, so i set the hook and landed that bass. heres a pic.

P6280017.jpg

I decided i like this wacky rigged Senko, so i started pitching it under some docks, 10 minutes later i see my line going sideways, set the hook and pulled this guy out.

P6280018.jpg

Then about 20 minutes later, i skip my Senko under another dock, see my line moving, pull it gently, yup theres one, close my bail and set the hook. Another good one. But during the battle, he shook off my first and only Senko.

P6280019.jpg

That was it for monday, some loud thunder in the back ground i packed up and headed home just in time, alot of rain and thunder and lightning came just as i got in the door. Then i sat there thinking I need to go up to Canadian Tire tomorrow for some Senkos and a new rubber frog.

So yesterday i go up to Canadian Tire, buy a pack of senkos, a frog, and also a motzuo popper since it was half price.

Got home, opened my new lures, threw them in the tackle box, and back down to the river i went. I started by throwing the frog, had two hits and misses. Then started throwing my new senko, but nothing, hmmm did i buy the wrong color? then as I'm about to move to a new spot, i throw the senko in a hole in the weeds, went to reel back in and felt something, so i set the hook and got this little guy.

P6290020.jpg

Then i moved on to the more open part of the river, saw some nice weeds, so i threw on the frog, pulled it across numerous times, but nothing. Then i decided to use it like a popper and i "jigging" it across the top of the water in an open spot and BOOM, a fish just explodes out of the water and nails it, i set the hook, i thought i had the big one on, but it was this little scrapper, maybe 2 pounds?

P6290021.jpg

That has been my bass opener so far. For those fisherman that have to fish from shore, i really recommend these senkos, they are very easy to use and catch fish, same with the frog and poppers.

I'm off to my cottage tomorrow until sunday, I hope to get into some Georgian Bay smallies, hopefully i can write you guys a report with some nice pictures.

Wow...those are some beauties! Wish I had that kind of action anywhere near me at home!

If someone doesn't mind explaining, what's this 'wacky style' rigging for the Senko and what Senko (if there are different kinds) would you guys suggest? I've only just started getting into fishing with non-live bait, so I'm kind of clueless when it comes to this stuff.

PS - I love fishing with frogs, but the real thing. They are as far as I'm concerned the best bait there is, bar none.

Those are all beautiful LargeMouth! Must be nice to be able to bike to a spot with that kind of action.

Next time you are buying baits, try pink bubblegum coloured Senko's! You will be surprised!

Rigged wacky style, they are amazing!

Dang! I just bought a new pack today, Watermelon i think. Next time though.

Wow...those are some beauties! Wish I had that kind of action anywhere near me at home!

If someone doesn't mind explaining, what's this 'wacky style' rigging for the Senko and what Senko (if there are different kinds) would you guys suggest? I've only just started getting into fishing with non-live bait, so I'm kind of clueless when it comes to this stuff.

PS - I love fishing with frogs, but the real thing. They are as far as I'm concerned the best bait there is, bar none.

I don't think theres any bad ones, just scent is different. I had a pack of pumkinseed colored "wave worms" and they worked excellent, but lost them all from fish flinging them off while jumping and headshakes. And today I bought a pack of YUM, 12 pack for $5. We got about 20 small largemouth with them today.

And, I think fishing with real frogs is illegal now a days?

Those are some nice fish. Gbay is great for bass (actually pretty much any fish)

Just a heads up for you. Don't run a swivel on your senko. It will collect loads of unwanted weeds.

PS.

Where's your mullet gone?

Edited by Cudz

Those are some nice fish. Gbay is great for bass (actually pretty much any fish)

Just a heads up for you. Don't run a swivel on your senko. It will collect loads of unwanted weeds.

PS.

Where's your mullet gone?

These one were actually pulled out of Scugog.

Lol, I never had a mullet? Maybe it looks like it in my avatar? I just have curly hair when it's longer, it all curls up at the back, sides, and front.

I don't think theres any bad ones, just scent is different. I had a pack of pumkinseed colored "wave worms" and they worked excellent, but lost them all from fish flinging them off while jumping and headshakes. And today I bought a pack of YUM, 12 pack for $5. We got about 20 small largemouth with them today.

And, I think fishing with real frogs is illegal now a days?

Alright...sounds like a plan...but what's this wacky style rigging? Does anyone have a link or an explanation?

As for the frogs...I only fish with them if I catch any where I'm fishing (which is usually at the cottage). I've never, ever seen them sold as bait, but like I said..they make DAMN GOOD bait!

Alright...sounds like a plan...but what's this wacky style rigging? Does anyone have a link or an explanation?

As for the frogs...I only fish with them if I catch any where I'm fishing (which is usually at the cottage). I've never, ever seen them sold as bait, but like I said..they make DAMN GOOD bait!

Oh, wacky, it's just when you take your hook and just simply put it in the middle of the worm, yes simple as that, you just cast them where you want, let them float down to the bottom, see if your line moves or you feel tugs, and set the hook. and you'll catch plenty of fish.

http://www.avidangler.net/photos/wacky.jpg

Thanks for the info! Also, if you don't mind me asking, did you just use a worm hook, or did you throw on some weights too (if so, just regular old round ones...or?). Like I said, I'm not at all familiar with fishing anything that's not live, so forgive me if some of my questions seem a little basic.

Thanks for the info! Also, if you don't mind me asking, did you just use a worm hook, or did you throw on some weights too (if so, just regular old round ones...or?). Like I said, I'm not at all familiar with fishing anything that's not live, so forgive me if some of my questions seem a little basic.

no weights, i believe its the slow fall to the bottom that triggers the fish, while falling it wiggles, so slower the better I'd say.

I've been using circle hooks, and I used a hook like in that picture, it worked fine too. They just cant be too small is the main thing really.

no weights, i believe its the slow fall to the bottom that triggers the fish, while falling it wiggles, so slower the better I'd say.

I've been using circle hooks, and I used a hook like in that picture, it worked fine too. They just cant be too small is the main thing really.

Alright...sounds easy enough. I've got some worm hooks (like the one in the pic) that are big, but hopefully they'll work. If not I'll just switch up to a circle hook. I think this is my last question (not sure if there's much else I could realistically ask), but were you doing a slow, steady retrieve, or jigging it or what?

Thanks again!

Alright...sounds easy enough. I've got some worm hooks (like the one in the pic) that are big, but hopefully they'll work. If not I'll just switch up to a circle hook. I think this is my last question (not sure if there's much else I could realistically ask), but were you doing a slow, steady retrieve, or jigging it or what?

Thanks again!

You don't really retrieve them, well i dont, I just cast in a spot that may have a fish or where a fish will see it fall, if i don't get anything I reel it in quick and cast in the next spot. The odd time you will get one while reeling in, so if you want, just slow your retrieve.