rubber worms "etc"

stan_133

I was just wondering if the rubber worms that i'm using are safe for the fish. If a fish hits the bait and takes it off the hook will it harm the fish if it ingests it. Also, if they don;t ingest it will it break down in the water?

There have been fish caught (bass that I remember) that had partially decomposed tube jigs in their stomach but far from complete digestion. Last weekend my son caught one that regurgitated a big rubber tube that looked pretty old but not broken down. I've seen artificials laying in the water, I don't think they break down all that quickly.

There have been numerous articles on this subject the past few years. Much depends on the composition of the specific plastic. Some do not break down. Some do not digest and can be harmful. Rates of decay have varied from a few years to a hundred. Results may depend upon who funded the research (like that has never been a factor before :rolleyes: ). Some plastics actually absorb water and double in size. Etc........

I did a fairly intensive diet study on a heavily fished bass lake in Ohio. We found one bass (out of maybe 1000) that had almost passed an undigested plastic worm, including the hook. In comparison, we saw hundreds with obvious hooking damage in the mouth. Undoubtedly, some of those fish succumbed to infection. I know what I'm more worried about.