cancun trip

oxcowboy

101_0870.jpg

Well after alot of worry about the swine flu and near change of destination, we finally decided to go back to cancun again and had a great time.

Contrary to popular belief, there wasnt anybody dying on the streets or washing up in the waves. everything was like normal except that it was way less crowded than usuall. we arrived at the hotel a bit early so they set us up with some drinks and stored our luggage and off to get a bite of lunch at one of the all inclusive restraunts on the place. the food was always good and so were the drinks. i really got my money's worth at the bar each day :thumbsup_anim: way too many bannana coladas, beers, and tequilla shots. other than my deep sea trip, we didnt do any of the other trips this time, just relaxing, and shopping was the main thing with our annual trip the the bubba gump shrimp factory, man was it good.

Now for the fishing. i booked a shared charter at the hotel for 6 hours. My wife didnt want to go this time, since she isnt that big into fishing so it was just me. i was up early and caught the bus outside the hotel for my 7:00 am trip. arrived early got signed in and waited to see who i would be with. As luck would have it, i was teamed up with a nice couple from Alberta and that was it. just the 3 of us i cant remember their names so i will just refer to them as mrs and mr. alberta. i was liking my odds from the start. After introductions we were off and excited to go.

101_0888.jpg

The guy running the place had fun feeding these birds some bait fish for the kids to see. they would come down and take the fish right out of his hand.

101_0892.jpg

on the way i notice this, and we sure hoped we would be tipping at the end of the day.

we get to the fishing grounds after a rough ride and get lines out and start our troll hopefully for some mahi mahi's. about 3 minutes into the first troll and bang line goes off, so we get mrs. alberta in the chair.

101_0908.jpg

nothing huge but a nice little bonita

Then mr. alberta gets one, then i get one, then we repeat it all again and again and mrs. A gets a double

101_0909.jpg

These were fun, but they were all about the same size and no mahi's or marlin in sight so the captain comes down and suggests we use some of the bonita as cut bait and go for some drift fishing. we all agree and off we go. i get another beer and take a leak as im comming out of the john mrs. a is needing in and getting sea sick. so she does her thing and is miserable and done for the day. i feel bad for her, but hey that only leaves two of us fishing :clapping: so we get to the first drift and bang fish on Mr. A starts reeling and bang there goes the other line double header of Barracudda. After that Mr. A hooks up and looses one near the boat and i get another. we move again and as we are going, look out Mr. A starts feeling it too so off to the edge he goes and chums the water some and is out of commission so then its just me as the lone fisherman and i do my best. i slayed them lol :D i caught 4 nice cuddas and a red snapper before we moved again. by the time we stopped at the next drift Mr. A had come back around and fished some more and caught a decent grouper and another barracuda and i caught a couple more cuda's and a nice trigger fish.

101_0929.jpg

All in all i managed 8 Barracuda's 4 bonita's a red snapper and a trigger fish. in my six hours.

101_0930.jpg

101_0928.jpg

101_0914.jpg

oh i also managed to drink plenty of beers. lol

It was a great trip, great fishing and lots of relaxing cant wait to do it again.

thanks for reading.

jason

dood, u also forgot your sunblock! looks like fun! I went on one of those trips when I was in the Dominican, everyone got sea sick cept the crew and myself, I must be lucky or something I really enjoyed it, even tho the swells were huge, it didn't phase me. My father-in-law felt it, but at least he didn't spew, on the other hand we were completely skunked.

Are the shared charters reasonable this time of year?

Neil

yeah john, it was called club cube' formerly club verano beat i believe up toward the end of the hotels near where the captain hook dinner boat goes out. the last time we went with aqua world, but had a lot of wasted time traveling through the lagoon.

jason

yeah john, it was called club cube' formerly club verano beat i believe up toward the end of the hotels near where the captain hook dinner boat goes out. the last time we went with aqua world, but had a lot of wasted time traveling through the lagoon.

jason

Same deal with diving from one of the lagoon marinas. It takes forever to get out to the big water. The lagoon is so shallow they can't really hump it until they get under the bridge.

Did you try any shorefishing in the lagoon mangroves? There are lots of fish in there, along with the crocs. We've seen locals spearfishing in there.

JF

i tried off the beach one day down near punt nizuc but got skunked and a wicked thunderstorm scared me off the reef. didnt want to be the only thing there to catch a bolt. lol

jason

If you're down there again try back in the mangroves near the highway (bridge) at the Punta Nizuc end of the lagoon. You can probably also catch something at the open water end of the channel coming out of the lagoon. Watch for crocs when you're in the mangroves.

JF

Always refreshing to see a saltwater post...............that trigger fish is wicked, the beauty of saltwater is ya never know whats gonna surface when your hooked into something. I can imagine the anticipation every time a fish is hooked