Top water lures for bass

splashhopper

Had a slow day for bass today... got a pike ( small at 25") on a red devil spoon.

ten small crappies... small being the KY word and missed three decent bass on topwater ... buzzfrogs

I was using a top water frog(weedless) and had a huuuge bass on for all of 30 seconds...

it blew straight out of the water when it grabbed the frog... I "think" i had it hooked, and then flew out of the water again and " buh bye".... gone.... what a dissapointment..

I had even said to my buddy, I bet you there is a bass in that "hole in the donut" of a weedbed...

sure enough, as soon as I brought the frog in to the "hole"... gave it a slight twitch and whammo.... :o

just about crap myself... it was exciting to say the least...

Kept working that white buzzfrog along the edges of the weeds... had two more do the same thing.. .and I ended up with the same results.... no hooked up bass :huh:

so, here is my question...

when I am fishing top water lures.... frogs, jitter bugs or hula poppers... how the hell do I set the hook on these..

what's the deal with them?

Thanks

splashhopper

First, sharpen those hooks till they are sticky sharp. If you place the hook point on your thumbnail, you should not be able to slide it around. Not doing anything when you hear or see the hit is the hardest part. Let the hooks do the work. Keep the rod low and pointed at the bait. When you feel the weight of the fish, then you can raise your rod and bury the hooks. Then try to horse it out of the slop before it tangles you up and gets off. It's still the most fun way to fish for bass but it takes some practice. Good luck and don't give up.

I know it's really hard, but you need to wait until you feel the weight of the fish before setting the hook. I do a lot of top water bass fishing (probably to much) and this was the biggest thing I've learned..

Also if they are just nipping and not inhaling it, then throw something like a Senko rigged wacky style right back into the hole. Bass have a hard time resisting a Senko :)

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

patience is key.

as mentioned a short pause waiting for the line or rod tip to move is key in setting the hook on topwater bass.

if a fish misses, leave your line out there until the water settles then twitch the lure again...

or follow it up with another more subtle presentation.

topwater strikes are the epitome of angling excitement.

Watch the hit. Reel down so rod tip is near water (this should take about 1.25 seconds) the set the hook like you are trying to rip the fishes lips off. Use a stiff rod and 30 pound braid (most pros will use 50 pound braid). Make sure your hooks are sharp. On some frogs I bend the hooks out a little bit from the body.

***Be careful when you se the hook hard. If the fish has let it go the bait will come straight back at you at about mach 5. I have been hit a few times.

I agree with lots of the comments here, i was new to topwater bass fishing last year, but found out pretty quick not to set the hook to soon, but its hard not to i will admit, as when that fish explodes outta the water its like a reflex reaction , but you kinda get used to it...lol...sometimes.

hey... thanks everyone...

I had my rod tip up the the whole time....

I did pull the hooks up off the body of the frog about an 1/8th of an inch from the "factory setting" thinking they were too close to the body..

now I gotta learn to "RELAAAAX" when that explosion goes off :lol:

the anticpation is something else.

My buddy had a Williams Warbler (silver and rubt red) snagged about 6 inches up off the water 3 feet from shore and a big one lunged at it too... what a blast :w00t:

We are going back up there, and another small lake we found( gotta portage in about 1500 yards) for some more on Canada day.....

Top water bassing just might be my summer "sport"...lol

Thanks... I will give your tips a try and let you know how it all works out..

Splashhopper

Edited by splashhopper

frog baits are normally one or two hooks....you need braided line and a med heavy 6.10 to 7.10 rod to get the claws in. For chugs and pop'R's etc...I always make my own buck tails for the end hook and change out the top hook to a red one. 100% of the time, the red hook is in the mouth. That's all I'll say about that. I use a med fast (much softer) rod and hi vis braid (30lb) with a 8 to 10 ft lead usually flouro but mono in stained water. When it's HOT throw into the pads and slop with a tube of jig rod ready to follow up a blast. When it's morning or evening...I tend to throw into the slop and slowly move it to the edge and let in drop....pink flukes, whip tails, flappin shad etc are great for this.

Surface hits are the most fun IMO, but the hardest way to get them buttoned down to the scale or camera.

RR