No more nicknames

BUSTER

It also leaves some folks wondering and that I always find amusing.

HH aka Joe

Cool. Your avatar has me wondering too. It looks kind of like an African woman holding up laundry. And she has WWI flying googles on her head.

Am I close? :D

Honestly I believe using your real name is only opening you up to possible problems. If you had a disagreement on the forum with a less than upright individual with your real name & by reviewing your profile or past posts it would be easy to determine where you live. This is more info than I am comfortable giving out to those I never meet. Over the last few years I have had the pleasure to meet with more than a few members here and everyone one of those have been given my real name if requested. I do not hide my first name as I often sign off with it.

And I have not even touched on the possible consequences that organizations such as P3TA may do with this information as I believe they and other such groups monitor many of these types of forums.

Best Wishes: Rick

RICK I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Yeah within about a 100 square miles. :P

Without my full name and other resources you would have some work ahead of you to actually find out where I live. One member here has been to my house though.

Rick

Whats next. i'll have to provide my driver license number or mail in a copy of my birth certificate to prove my real name. keep things the way they are and if you feel like posting your real name then post it. but don't force people to post there names if they don't want to.

Honestly I believe using your real name is only opening you up to possible problems. If you had a disagreement on the forum with a less than upright individual with your real name & by reviewing your profile or past posts it would be easy to determine where you live. This is more info than I am comfortable giving out to those I never meet. Over the last few years I have had the pleasure to meet with more than a few members here and everyone one of those have been given my real name if requested. I do not hide my first name as I often sign off with it.

And I have not even touched on the possible consequences that organizations such as P3TA may do with this information as I believe they and other such groups monitor many of these types of forums.

Iam with you 100%, surprised on how many that are not the same boat as us.

remember this is forced on the forum iam talking about, you must use your first and last names.

got no problem either way,however i think folks (some) tend to say things they would not if there real names were out there.

plus after some time on line most folks figure out who you are anyway.

Taker easy all

Hawg Hunter A.K.A...Randy lol

ummm... You are from RR#4 in St. Marys and your name is Rick, can't be that hard to find!

Well,

Being some what of a local celebrity in my parts....

Broadcasting my real name could infact attract some unwanted attention to be honest

:rolleyes:

I used to use my company email addy in a newsgroup that was renowned for it's argumentative nature. It never occurred to me that my innocuous posts would draw anyone's ire, but they did. One of the posters from Florida pm'ed me asking if I thought it was wise to use my company's name in posts that the world could see. I replied "Ehh". He gave me a kind of lecture about how the real world operated (real world to him being the internet, which spoke volumes) but I decided that discretion being the better part of valour I should cease and desist dragging my company's good name throught the mud of that particular newsgroup. He must have been impressed as he availed hisself of my services when it came time to buy a property in Canada, even though it wasn't in my own back yard. That proves it pays to suck up.

Sometimes I think we read too much into the power of the internet. That being said, we perhaps also give it too little weight. Does that make any sense at all?

For those who get it, bless you and your offspring.

JF

I prefer nicknames. If somebody wants to find out more about you, that's easy to do by private mail. But that leaves the choice up to the individual.

Not that there's anything wrong with posting your full name if you're so inclined.