what bait to use for carp

I'd go with corn. I use a special large scented type called Mintzilla. Seems to work well and really stays on the hook. Just canned sweet corn will work too. Be sure to throw a bunch in an area and then get your bait in the same spot. You should get one for sure.

Take a can of corn thread a bunch on the hook cast it out get a handfull of corn and then throw it out where your hook is in the water sit back and wait oh yeah let your reel free spool so so the crap gets a good suck on it. I dont really fish them unless desperastion kicks in but thats how we did it as kids always caught them to there lots of experts here with better advice but this is the trailer park method and it works

I saw the difference between boiled maize and canned corn on Sunday. Now I understand why the carpers recommend maize. Marko said he bought 25# for the price of a few cans of corn and it stays on the hook so much better. The ducks are a bit of a pain though.

JF

Maize is 'cattle corn', correct? Anyone know where I could buy a 25lb or 50lb bag in the Scarborough area?

Check with a local seed place, or even pet food store. Alot of them carry feed corn to feed birds.

Dunno about Scarborough but in Hamilton Tregunno Seeds on Catherine St. has all your carp bait & method mix needs. 10lbs of pigeon or red corn for $3.

If there's no little buggers in the area, Del Monte Summer Crisp will do fine. But if your swim is full of gobies & bullheads you really need a harder feed corn to keep your bait.

Edited by CLofchik

Take a can of corn thread a bunch on the hook cast it out get a handfull of corn and then throw it out where your hook is in the water sit back and wait oh yeah let your reel free spool so so the crap gets a good suck on it. I dont really fish them unless desperastion kicks in but thats how we did it as kids always caught them to there lots of experts here with better advice but this is the trailer park method and it works

HEY,, easy on the "trailer park method" :jerry:

That's how I fish for them,, cause i cant tie a damned hair rig yet :huh:

I just went over to the pet store across the parking lot from my office and they sell maize for about $.80/lb. It's more expensive than going to a co-op and getting 25# or something like that, but I only need so much and it's handy. I'll boil it up tonight.

JF

If I'm using corn, I like to get the cheap dollar-store stuff. Usually two cans for a buck. Great big, tough as leather kernels in a slimey juice (excellent scent trails).

I don't usually chum. I just toss it in upstream from where I think the carp might be. They'll sniff it out pretty quick if they're in feeding mode.

But my favorite way to fish for carp is wading the shallows. Sneaking along, up againts the bushes and watch for them actively feeding and then toss a crayfish uptstream from them. I've seen carp come charging thirty feet to grab my bait. Then a big splash, and screaming drag, and the fight is on. Man, that's good fishing.

I've never been bone fishing on 'the flats' but I can't imagine it being any better fishing the shallows for carp. :canadian:

:lol: What's corn ass. Sounds bad to me.

There is lots of good advice here. I think the cheaper the canned corn the better for the reasons already stated. Bread compacted into a ball and put on the hook works as well. So a 50 cent can of corn and a $1.99 loaf of store brand bread and you are in business. Use strong sharp hooks. If gobies or small bullheads are a problem you can use boiled maize which is feed or cattle corn.

Good Luck hope you hook a drag burner. :)

Maize is 'cattle corn', correct? Anyone know where I could buy a 25lb or 50lb bag in the Scarborough area? It would be so much cheaper to chum an area with...

I get mine from Queensville Feed (http://www.queensvillefarmsupply.ca/) you can give them a call. I think for a 80lb bag it's about $18. And you can find a lot more interesting stuff there for carp as well.