Bucktail Bonanza

Joeytier

This spring has been awful for walleye for me this year. Multiple skunkings and one fish days have been the norm. It took until one of the very last days of spring to finally get a good day. And what a day it was.

The wind was very cooperative for a change, which made fishing very easy. We fished for around 4 1/2 hours, fishing one giant weed flat in the middle of the lake. There was a line of super thick weeds in about 10 ft, and as soon you as we found slightly deeper water (12-14 ft) with more scattered weeds the walleye would soon follow. We managed 13 fish, and every single one was at least 16" with many reaching (and a few exceeding) the 3 lb mark. Easily the best walleye fishing I've ever experienced, and it was in the middle of the afternoon, on a bright calm, sunny day. This time of year, I think they prefer sunny hot weather as opposed to what people usually associate with prime walleye conditions.

11 of the 13 were caught on bucktails, with the other two being taken on a black tube.

DSCN0095.jpg

DSCN0096.jpg

DSCN0097.jpg

DSCN0098.jpg

...And the double header shot.

DSCN0099.jpg

You got em good. I have had some of the best walleye fishing of my life at that exact spot,We call it the "middle of nowhere "spot.

It seems to me that, that lake is getting better and better later in the season. Not to mention all the other giants in that lake. Good going, thanks for the report.

In my opinion when the clouds look like they do in your pics, the fishing tends to be good.

I agree with that for sure. I could post a whole whack of fish pics with those "popcorn" clouds. Next best would be rainy, windy days.

Its been slow to get going, but we've been doing well on the eyes so far. Things are starting to shape up though. The summer pattern is shaping up.

Nice fish Joey, real nice!!

Sinker