30 lb Power Pro

Jonny

A few days ago I "revitalized" my old Mitchell 301A spinning reel. Yesterday I spooled it with 30 lb Power Pro (red), and took it out for some drift fishing and casting. Well-behaved on the reel, good feel for the bottom. And can that stuff ever cast! I'm liking it so far.

Thanks for the opinions in the other thread, guys.

My only problem with this PP is that I find it hard to see against the water (polarized sunglasses or not). Maybe the choppy conditions I was out in.

Takes a bit of getting used to, but you'll be able to see it against the water in a bit....maybe as it fades and becomes less "red". More importantly, did you catch anything?!?!

Good to know. I caught one 2 lb. OOS smallmouth that I would have kept had it been next week! :D

Sexy lookin' line... :whistling:

P6222488__800x600_.JPG

I have to ask.........why in the world are you using 30# test on a light spinning outfit. I pity you when you get a snag and have to break off.

Define "light". :D

This Mitchell, and an older 301, on a medium rod, have accounted for some "heavy" fish, including in saltwater.

Snags? Would you try to break off a snag with the rod-and-reel? I would use a leather work glove or take a couple of wraps around my gaff and pull until the hook straightens, the knot breaks, or the snag comes up with the lure.

Power Pro 30# is the same diameter as 8# mono. It's supposed to be less prone to "tuck under" on your reel under a heavy load, and as I'm finding out it still casts like stink. Why not use a heavier (higher-rated) line if it works?

Edited by Jocko

I have to ask.........why in the world are you using 30# test on a light spinning outfit. I pity you when you get a snag and have to break off.

Agreed.

I have broken a med-light compre before I broke 10lb PP. Have also caught numerous 10-15lb carp with it as well.

For weedy and heavy cover lakes I run 30lb for most of my gear, 50lb for flippin and toads. For open water, clear shoals etc I run 20 with flouro leads to get longer casts. I don't see anyreason to go lighter.

RR

longer casts...more sensitivity....easier to break off....smaller line diatmeter = less resistance, deeper trolling.....increase your spool capacity....

I personally think 20-30 lb power pro is fine for a general multi-purpose spinning outfit....but there are exceptions where going lighter pays off.....ie for my jiggin rod I use 8lb power pro....1 or 2lb diamter I think but still has the strength....my jigs drop quicker and I can feel bottom better with lighter jigs and much easier to break off when I get snagged...

I also run 8 or 10 lb power pro when washing spoons off the docks in the fall...and I consistently outcast guys using 8 lb mono.....don't always catch more but at least it makes me smile when I bomb my spoon an extra 30'.....

I use 30# test Power Pro ONLY on my Dipsy rods because of the heavy pull the Dipsy Divers have. Everything else is mono and light at that. For walleye I use 4 or 6# test and I can't remember the last time I lost a fish because I was using light line. For crappies I use 2 - 4# test mono but I have lost a couple LARGE crappies trying to lift them into the boat with 2# test line. Now I will lip them when using that light of line.....

Good Luck Fishing,

Bob

Well true enough, gentlemen, it all depends on the kind of fishing you're doing, and your preferences. My line of choice for various applications has been 10# to 14# Trilene XL for years.

The 30# PP is a new thing to me, and I'll see how it works out. I like to fish without leaders if I can, and I figure this line might stand up to pike fishing w/o a leader. I may lose a little casting distance compared to lighter tests of PP, but I fish from a boat (very seldom from shore), so if I want to get closer to something, I move the boat! :D

Trolling depth, I would just use a deep-digging lure, but this setup is not primarily for trolling. For that I have an Abu-Garcia Ambassadeur on a medium/heavy rod.

Sensitivity, yes, some sacrifice there, but based on my very limited experience, this stuff seems to "telegraph" better than mono just the same.

It reminds me a bit of having 300' of steel line out for lakers and being able to tell if you're hitting rocks, gravel or soft bottom.

Nice reel, Jocko! I wish I still had mine... smile.gif

Well, not like having your own reel with its own history, but ebay might be the place to look for one! :) I've bought lots of stuff there.

....I figure this line might stand up to pike fishing w/o a leader.....

No it won't. Spectra braids are great lines and a definite upgrade over mono, but once they get nicked they lose alot more of their strength than mono, and they nick very easily. You still need a leader for toothy critters.

No it won't. Spectra braids are great lines and a definite upgrade over mono, but once they get nicked they lose alot more of their strength than mono, and they nick very easily. You still need a leader for toothy critters.

Wow, I find that surprising! I couldn't even cut the stuff with a good pair of nail clippers and still had a heck of a time breaking it. But you're the expert, much more than me. I don't know this line.

I use 30lb PP on several of my heavier spinning outfits, and trust me, if you drag it across zebra mussel encrusted rocks it will cut like butter. I have pulled in logs with the stuff, and often drag the boat over to where I am snagged, but sharp edges do it in quickly. I fished a day in a snot-rocket infested lake a few weeks ago and landed 12 smallish pike (biggest was 4 or 5 lbs) on it with no leader with no problems, not even a fray, but any time I am after muskies or bigger pike I add a 12 inch 80lb fluorocarbon leader. You don't want to lose the big one by getting bit off!

I will add my 2 cents. I prefer using the lightest line I can get away with. Almost all my spinning outfits use at most 8lb test line -- mostly mono, but one with PP 8lb (for added capacity in a 1000-size reel). I find that 8lb is more than sufficient for most application. And although not recommended, I've landed an accidental 16lb muskie with 8lb mono on a spinning outfit. For casting setup, I still use lines lighter than most others would, just 8lb or 12lb mono for bass, walleye, pike, steelhead, salmon etc. I seldom lose fish due to line breakage, and really like the lighter line for sensitivity and casting distance. I only use PP 30lb for my flipping stick, and Spider 24lb braided line for my muskie jerkbait rod. Most would say I should use 80lb, but I think mine suffices.

BTW, I really like the PLine Fluoroclear for its thin diameter. And it seems to catch me fish which is the most important thing. :)

Isn't a 1000 size reel really small, ie something you would use on an ultralight or ice fishing rod? My smallest spinning reel is a size 2 (2000), and it is spooled up with 125 yards of 14lb Fireline. I guess it all depends what type of fishing you do too, if you are going for light-biting walleye with 1/8oz jigs, 8lb would be a better choice, but if you are casting big spoons for pike or dragging spinnerbaits thru weeds for bass, go heavier. Heavier line gives you more room for angler error too, ie accidentaly bumping the handle and closing the bail during a cast... 8lb line and a messed up cast = *ping...5 second delay...splash*.

Guest steel'n'esox

You took the words right out of my mouth, make sure the bandaids and polysporin are ready?

I rarely use a leader with PP spooled up... Unless there are a ton of snot rockets around.

Isn't a 1000 size reel really small, ie something you would use on an ultralight or ice fishing rod? My smallest spinning reel is a size 2 (2000), and it is spooled up with 125 yards of 14lb Fireline. I guess it all depends what type of fishing you do too, if you are going for light-biting walleye with 1/8oz jigs, 8lb would be a better choice, but if you are casting big spoons for pike or dragging spinnerbaits thru weeds for bass, go heavier. Heavier line gives you more room for angler error too, ie accidentaly bumping the handle and closing the bail during a cast... 8lb line and a messed up cast = *ping...5 second delay...splash*.

A Mitchell (or Shimano) 1000 size will hold about 110 yds of 6-lb. So when I put PP 8lb which has 1 or 2 lb diameter, I can still put a lot on it. If I used a 2000/2500 size, I might have to put 250 or 300 yds onto the spool, which would be way too expensive for me. If I don't fill up the spool I find it difficult to cast very far. I agree that this setup is really for finesse fishing. To throw spoons or heavier lures, I used 12-lb mono in a casting setup.

You took the words right out of my mouth, make sure the bandaids and polysporin are ready?

Well, let's do the math - 30# PP, same dia. as 8 lb mono, but the next time I snag a $10 Rapala, I have a chance of getting it back. And the next time, and the next time.

I don't try to break free snags with just my bare hands even with 14# XL. Why would I try it with 30# PP? :D

Far be it from me to defend a line I've only just started using, but you have to be rational about certain things.