Is this boat modification possible?

sneak_e_pete

Hi all, I know you don't like newbies firing out questions before introducing themselves, so here goes. I am a long time lurker and was registered under this name on the old board. It's been a while since I have visited and have just re-registered. I live near Hamilton and enjoy mainly fishing for bass. I have a question with regard to whether or not this modification is possible for my 12ft. aluminum.

My boat has 3 bench seats. I would like to remove the middle bench and put plywood down on the floor to make a flat platform with a pedestal seat attached to it. Being a big guy, I find my boat hard to move around in and would like to make some space. Will I hurt the boat stucturally if I do this? Does anyone see any problems with this? If it helps, my boat is a LOWE Seanymph. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sneak

hey pete. I think that instead of pulling the bench you could make a deck that sits on the middle and front benches. We did that with our old 12ft'er. Cut the plywood to shape and screw in some 2x2s to hold the deck in place. One set in front of the middle bench and one set behind the front bench. This way you get the added room that you're looking for and can still take the deck out if you're just cruising with the family. Hope this helps!

Wow, that boat is awesome! Good idea on leaving the benches in. I did think of that, but was afraid of stability. My boat is not a deep v and I am afraid that making the platform higher (i.e. on top of the bench seats) and then adding a pedestal seat or standing on top of the platform would make the boat too tippy. I am a big guy, so any movement by me is big movement. Any thoughts?

Keram, is your boat a 16ft? It looks pretty deep also. Again, nice work.

Wow, that boat is awesome! Good idea on leaving the benches in. I did think of that, but was afraid of stability. My boat is not a deep v and I am afraid that making the platform higher (i.e. on top of the bench seats) and then adding a pedestal seat or standing on top of the platform would make the boat too tippy. I am a big guy, so any movement by me is big movement. Any thoughts?

Keram, is your boat a 16ft? It looks pretty deep also. Again, nice work.

Well, I have no idea how to classify my boat it is 14' footer ( deep V or whatever :dunno: ). Front half looks like deep V from this point everything is flat.. I'm 220 lbs, was few times last year in pretty rough water ( I do not fish LO or GB - I do not say I won't try it :rolleyes: ) I did not have any problems with balance. front pedestal is interchangable ( you can put high seat (weather permitting ) or low seat with back rest . motor is small 9.9 Merc, but still managed to go about 25km/hr (I go fishing ,not racing <_< )

Like I've said before I have a lots of pictures and first hand advice ( yup, I know my mistakes :blush: , but you won't hear about them :rolleyes:) in public :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by keram

Very nice work Keram, looks great. Don't forget it will add a lot of weight, so you may also need a larger motor if your concerned with speed. I upgraded a 14' aluminum with a floor that had a 15hp motor and it went a lot slower so I put a 25hp on it and it went faster and smoother than before.

Don't remove the mid seat. Doing this will weaken the hull structure. The factory made aluminum boats that are designed without the middle seat and have a floor built in also contain a structural aluminum support frame under the plywood to accomodate this modification.

If you check out some of the boat manufacturers websites and look into the details of how they build their boats you will see this displayed.

Good luck with your modifications and consider the idea that Keram advised. But remember plywood and framing will add weight and this will have to be taken into consideration when you load your boat with equipment, passengers and yourself.

WOW...hey keram thats some nice modifacations that you made to your boat and it looks way better :w00t: and gives you more floor space without comprimising the strenght of the hull,i know another guy who did that too,just dont take out the middle bench,so follow kerams idea and im sure you will be ready to go in no time.. :) ..us OFC'es are such helpfull people cheers & good luck :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

keram...

I like how your boat looks also. But I'm curious as to how comfortable the seating is as it doesn't look like that you now have very much space for your legs due to the low seat hight. It looks like my knees would be up in my chin if I was to sit in one of them.

Only curious, not implying anything. I have swivel seats mounted on bench seats and no modified floor in my boat. I have thought about doing something, but I find the seat hight is just fine the way it is now.