Guelph lake perch

jediangler

I checked the hourly weather report for Guelph on theWeatherNetwork.com, and saw that they expected the rain to start in the late afternoon, early evening. So when I loaded up my kayak on the shore of Guelph lake at 1pm, I left the rainsuit in the trunk. The wind was NE15km/h, so I starting trolling against the wind. After an hour I had paddled about 2km from the car and planned on casting and drifting all the way back. Then it started to rain shortly after 2pm. I knew I wasn't going to get back to the car in a hurry so I kept fishing. I was throwing a 1/8oz white jig & grub on a steel leader hoping to catch pike when I caught my PB perch.

12inch.jpg

It was 12" long and had shoulders. I caught two other perch and an oos smallmouth all within the first half hour of the rainstorm after getting no hits before the rain. Then it really came down hard and although it was a warm rain I was totally soaked to the skin. I had to troll back to the car then because when the rain started the wind stopped. Had no action from the pike and packed it in at 3:30pm. Lesson for the day...always take your rain gear with you, it can't do it's job in the trunk. Last time I was at Guelph lake, I left my camera in the trunk and caught a 29" pike.

Always allow 24 hours leeway with any forecast. It changes hourly and is dependant on the forecaster's mood swings, or how much he's had to drink so far in the day :lol:

All I needed to know was at some point today it was going to rain and planned accordingly.

Edited by bigugli

Shame shame Bro, you know better than that. If you don't have rainsuit it rains if you don't have camera you get big fish, if you don't have...lol. Anyway nice perch. Still better than working or having to sleep before work. B)

if you are looking for an accurate picture of when the rain/storms are gonna be moving in go here:

www.weatheroffice.gc.ca

and use the radar feed and zoom in on the area you are looking. you can activate it to see how fast the system is moving. its a great tool to get an idea of when it will actually hit. although on hot, sunny summer days, daytime heating will cause pop-up thunderstorms to happen fast and unpredictably but typically don't last long (but they can be nasty). if something has been in the long range forecast for some time before hand it is usually a fairly stable system that you can track accurately as it gets close.

hope this helps,

AA.