Longpoint or Bass Lake???

Hi everyone,

I am trying to decide between going camping at bass lake provincial park or longpoint provincial park. I have not been to either can anybody tell me their opinions on one or both of the parks? Just general opinions would be great and also some stuff on how the fishing is because good fishing is what im really hoping for when I go camping.

Thanks everyone!!!

I've been to Bass Lake a few times it's a nice lake good bass Ontario Junior bass team had some tourney's there and we did very well when we prefished with our kids, panfish and Walleye though I never fished for them, wind doesn't really affect you there, only at Long Point once & didn't do very good water was very dirty

Richard

Never been to Longpoint but have been to Bass Lake PP many times and can highly recommend it, both as a nice park but also the fishing is pretty good as well. Have only been there early in the bass season (first weeks of July) and the water has not really warmed up completely yet...but we still did pretty good, a few times had to work at it a bit but still never got skunked...lol.

If you go to Bass Lake, try about 50 yards off the shoreline directly across from the park, all along that area. The camp store usually has a photocopied fishing map of the lake, showing the contours and you can see the area I speak of having the fast drop along the far shoreline.

Bass lake is nice. A real neat lake as there pretty much only bass in it. Quite shallow but not really affected by wind.

Drive another 30 minutes (but up the 400) and you can be at six mile lake pp. Another really good option and I would say better fishing than Bass lake. Just another option for you.

Long Point can be brutal if you don't know the area, since it all looks the same at first glance. Weed choked and bowl shaped. You'll catch bass everywhere, but finding decent fish is tough to do. Also I don't believe rentals come with electric motors.. so that'll make it tougher. I'd say head north before heading to LPB.

I agree with Black Blade. Good lake but you got to work for your catch. What worked for me was to let the bait sit on bottom and try to not really pay to much attention to it. Guess the bass were coming by and picking it up. Also, don't expect a big Avg bass size there. Maybe it was just us but we only caught bass in the high 1lb range with the biggest being 2.6 i think.

Would love to see a big 3 or 4lb bass come out of that lake, good luck and check your PM.

;) MTBF

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Bass Lake you'll get decent bass quite easily. Lots of numbers too.

I was there last summer, and did quite well on it. Probably about 15-20 fish in the morning. Biggest being 3.5 lbs.

Also got on a school of BIG crappie! Great eaters!

I'd recommend Bass Lake for sure.

Dan, what way is "the wrong direction" at long point bay, ive camped there but never fished it and would like to get out there this summer.

East. Winds from the east stir the bay's prevalent mud bottom up pretty quick and put pretty much every species in lockjaw mode.

Dan, what way is "the wrong direction" at long point bay, ive camped there but never fished it and would like to get out there this summer.

An east wind will keep you stuck at the campsite. But if it gets over 25km/h in any direction it can get nasty. If you decide to go shoot me a PM and I may be down there. My boat can handle the waved a little better ;)

Hi everyone,

I am trying to decide between going camping at bass lake provincial park or longpoint provincial park. I have not been to either can anybody tell me their opinions on one or both of the parks? Just general opinions would be great and also some stuff on how the fishing is because good fishing is what im really hoping for when I go camping.

Thanks everyone!!!

If you're hoping to get in Bass Lake on opening weekend for bass you're probably out of luck.It's usually booked way early for that weekend.Check the on line registration for availability if you plan on camping too.

Kerry