Western Update

holdfast

This is an interesting post as my family moved out west (Calgary) when I was in Grade 10 because it was booming and my father got a fantastic job offer.

The teachers treated us like second class citizens and failed me in almost every grade (I had a b+ average in Ontario prior). The people were friendly but annoyed with us for invading their territory (you may remember the saying that was out there. We were Ontario creeps and bums), and then when the boom ended, they laid my father off and we were screwed. Had to sell the house and move back here because there was no a job to be found there. Destroyed the family for awhile that's for sure.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Joey

Edited by Joey

Your all A++++ to me J. :thumbsup_anim:

Yep Im in the same boat as many,a little younger and single,I be gone,well single forsure.

I was offered a job by my brothers plant in Ontario to be a plant manager out in Edmonton,but I turned it down. Man got me rethinking that move now.

I've heard a couple similar stories Joey.

One of the guys I know who's out there is very outgoing, smart, etc. I guess he's kinda got a reputation as the "hotshot from Ontario" in the little community he's in and has got a little flack from his landlord because of it (as he tells it, anyway).

An older, former co-worker of mine was out there when it boomed (back in the.. 70's? - I'm guessing). The locals had the better, higher paying jobs that were the result of the boom when things were good and anyone else took the basic jobs (that still payed very well). When everything went downhill a lot of the higher end jobs were no more but the "non-locals" were still there occupying everything else. I think bar fights became a little more common as a result. lol.

Edited by Northhunter

Pinch you seem to be a raciest against white people from what I read from your post

Canadians are not just white, so why would you change his comment to have the word white in it,,your words not his

and he was talking about his boss bringing a Ukrainian family into the country to work as far as I know .Ukrainian people are white for the most part...and that is the immigrants he was talking about..so you would be stating that he is raciest against white people.....

he didn't say recent immigrants/ landed immigrants or recent canadians he was talking about businesses going out of country looking for employees and he wanted people in canada to know about the jobs......nothing racist in his words at all...you seem to want to bring race onto the conversation as do others..I don't see why you want to do that

Pinch you seem to be a raciest against white people from what I read from your post

Canadians are not just white, so why would you change his comment to have the word white in it,,your words not his

and he was talking about his boss bringing a Ukrainian family into the country to work as far as I know .Ukrainian people are white for the most part...and that is the immigrants he was talking about..so you would be stating that he is raciest against white people.....

he didn't say recent immigrants/ landed immigrants or recent canadians he was talking about businesses going out of country looking for employees and he wanted people in canada to know about the jobs......nothing racist in his words at all...you seem to want to bring race onto the conversation as do others..I don't see why you want to do that

Terry How is it that I seem to be racist against white people??? Perhaps you'd like to go back and re-read my post.

I never said that all canadians are white and I never said that Holdfast was racist.

What I said was "What if we changed 'canadians' to 'white people'... As in IF Holdfast HAD said that would his comments still have been ok with everyone. I was using it as an example, ie Do you not think that some people might be offended had he stated that he prefered to live next to white/black/purple/pink/whatever people. Thats all. Nothing more nothing less.

What I said was "What if we changed 'canadians' to 'white people'... As in IF Holdfast HAD said that would his comments still have been ok with everyone.

Huh? Why make reference to something he never said or implied in the first place.

Pinch, man - I think you took things too personal and out of context. So your family are immigrants, that's great. But they've made the jump and are living here, are they not? Would you feel differently if you or them were desperate for work, only to find out that there were plenty of jobs and loads of opportunity in the country but that other people from other continents were being shipped/flown in to fill the void over you and your wife/kids/parents, who are already here?

Would it have been better if the term "Homosapiens of any colour presently residing within our borders" was used over "Canadians"?

Holdfast made a post based on his situation and first hand experience to maybe bring light of the opportunity in the west to the board and heck, maybe even help out a member or two. Instead the first responses he got were from people making an issue out of nothing (in my mind) and throwing down the "race card" - maybe that's where the "relax" came from?