Which portable digtal tach?

Tomcat

I'm not satisfied with the way my 1 year old Honda 15 HP 4 stroke trolls. Trolls too fast in forward for walleye fishing. Consequently, I do a lot of back trolling. Still, I've experienced some stalling problems while back trolling. I thought that checking the RPMs during fishing trips might facilitate a solution . In that regard, can anyone recommend a portable (battery powered) digital tach? Tiny Tach and a Stihl EDT6 were hits on a Google search. Thanks in advance

Whichever tach you decide on; make sure it is compatible with your ignition system; as in will it operate with multiple coils; if this motor has multiple coils.

Or if you connect it to the ECM’s (computer) tach terminal; that it will not affect the ECM. Believe me the ECM is not cheap; the factory tach that came with my BF40hp Honda, shorted and took out the ECM, $800.00 before the motor was running again.

But what is the point of knowing exactly what RPM it stalls at? All you’re going to do is bump the idle up when you reach that point; which will defeat your goal of going slower.

Maybe a prop change would accomplish what you’re after; but that will also cause your top end to suffer?

Dan.

• 1 month later...

FYI anyone looking to order in Canada - the standard is $49.99 and commercial $83. Here's the contact info for us:

Canada

Forster Instruments

Mississauga Ontario

PH: 905-795-0555

Fax: 800-632-9943

Toll free within Canada: 800-661-2994

• 4 weeks later...

It's always a good idea to keep an eye on your RPMs BUT, I have a 60hp 4 stroke and troll down to 1.3 (GPS). If you can't get down to that speed with a 15hp there's definitely something wrong. Have you talked to the dealer about it?