Self Etching Primer for aluminum

Lunker777

I just got back from NAPA and asked about a quart of self etching primer for my boat.

He said that I have to buy activator with it aswell or it wont dry ? and in total was going to cost me about $100 to get everything I needed !

Now tell me please... am I looking at the wrong stuff cause that sounds crazy expensive. But I could be wrong.. any help would be apreciated

dupont 810 and 815r corlar self etching primer....

the price is a little steep you can pick that up for about 85$ I sell it everyday......

depending on how much aluminum you have to paint I suggest buy it in a can about 12$ per spray bomb

1 can goes a long way......

the reason for this primer is to give a BASE for the regular primer and paint to stick to... you don't need 2 coats of the stuff.

RFS

to paint an aluminum enclosed trailer that is already painted would this self etching stuff make it possible to go over the existing paint? or would it be best to sand the original paint?

ive found a few good deals on black trailers, but i want a lighter color so its not as hot in the summer...

to paint an aluminum enclosed trailer that is already painted would this self etching stuff make it possible to go over the existing paint? or would it be best to sand the original paint?

ive found a few good deals on black trailers, but i want a lighter color so its not as hot in the summer...

If its already painted, you don't need to use the primer. Just give the existing paint a light sand with fine paper and have atter. I painted my boat 4 years ago, and its holding up good so far. I just went over it with the sander and slapped the paint to it. The self etching primer is for bare metal only.

Sinker