carp season?

"Question for you carpers...Is chumming for carp with corn legal?? I've seen them do it on some of the fishing shows but wasn't sure....Some people i meet say its illegal some say its legal...whats the word?"

Something about cooking it and then split the kernel's....has to do with expandature in their stomachs.

Many serious carp addicts use maize (field corn) as groundbait. It is extremely important to boil (for about 20 minutes) any dry grain or seed baits (maize, nuts...) and allow them to soak overnight. This allows them to swell and soften, and ensures that they won't germinate. Furthermore, never use any dry grain or seed baits as groundbait as they will swell inside the fish and cause internal damage. It is important to use groundbaits ethically, making sure not to use large grain baits (such as corn/maize) in areas heavily populated by trout and bass. Both species have trouble digesting corn and may die if they eat too much.

Better yet check out the chumming tactic of this guy, it's post #10 from this topic a couple of days ago.

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32370

I'm still chuckling about it!

Nice fish botbot......it's bigger then you! :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by muskybugged

"Question for you carpers...Is chumming for carp with corn legal?? I've seen them do it on some of the fishing shows but wasn't sure....Some people i meet say its illegal some say its legal...whats the word?"

Something about cooking it and then split the kernel's....has to do with expandature in their stomachs.

Many serious carp addicts use maize (field corn) as groundbait. It is extremely important to boil (for about 20 minutes) any dry grain or seed baits (maize, nuts...) and allow them to soak overnight. This allows them to swell and soften, and ensures that they won't germinate. Furthermore, never use any dry grain or seed baits as groundbait as they will swell inside the fish and cause internal damage. It is important to use groundbaits ethically, making sure not to use large grain baits (such as corn/maize) in areas heavily populated by trout and bass. Both species have trouble digesting corn and may die if they eat too much.

Better yet check out the chumming tactic of this guy, it's post #10 from this topic a couple of days ago.

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32370

I'm still chuckling about it!

Nice fish botbot......it's bigger then you! :thumbsup_anim:

I don't believe this. First of all carp do not have stomachs. Their digestive tract is just one long tube. It is bigger around at the beginning of it. Dried corn takes many hours to rehydrate and swell up. So even if the corn were to swell a bit it would simply be forced out either end. How many dead carp do you see floating around where the birders feed the swans, ducks and geese field corn by the 20 kg sack.

I don't believe this. First of all carp do not have stomachs. Their digestive tract is just one long tube. It is bigger around at the beginning of it. Dried corn takes many hours to rehydrate and swell up. So even if the corn were to swell a bit it would simply be forced out either end. How many dead carp do you see floating around where the birders feed the swans, ducks and geese field corn by the 20 kg sack.

Lorne, it may (or may not) be true for a carp but I think the concern is more for the bass/trout.

I boil my maize either way as I think it's more appealing when all the juice is coming out of it.

Crappieperchhunter and I are about to find out if it is too early yet for Kawartha carp this morning...

Seems like forever since we heard the sound of my buzzer going off or our drags screaming...music to our ears... :lol:

Catching this morning was not to be...the cold front gave the carp lock-jaw I think...not a total loss though as we seen several stick their heads out to check the weather so we know they are in the area...hoping today's chumming will bring some in for tomorrow morning...this is the earliest we have tried in the spring...last year it wasn't 'till Father's Day weekend... :rolleyes:

Seems like forever since we heard the sound of my buzzer going off or our drags screaming...music to our ears... :lol:

Beans, you know you can always run your line through your buzzer with your hand for some of that sweet music. Steelheaders have their STD, but I think us carpers develop a beep-beep-thirst--hearing--disorder. If I don't hear that sound every once in a while, I'll start hearing imaginary beeps throughout the day.

Good luck tomorrow :D and let us know how you make out. I might make a trip up to Peterboro in the next 2weeks, will let you know if I do.

Question for you carpers...Is chumming for carp with corn legal?? I've seen them do it on some of the fishing shows but wasn't sure....Some people i meet say its illegal some say its legal...whats the word?

Nigel

It's legal, but why feed the fish when you want them to eat the corn with the hook in it?

Pre-baiting is one thing, but if you're chumming with your hook in the water any extra time carp spend eating is time they're not looking for YOUR bait!

Picking up some carp bait from my local seedhouse last week I stumbled upon the prime carp chum, CHICKEN FEED! It's processed, nothing really substantial in it to blow up poor innocent stupid bass, cheap and stupid easy to use. Just chuck in enough water to form a ball, throw ball out. There, the swim is now chummed :D

Now even better than just throwing out chum willy nilly is using a feeder & hair rig. What with the urbane, metrosexual carp we have now you need to get a little more sophisticated than just some Del Monte on a hook. A hair rig is just a method of holding harder bait on a piece of line next to your hook, hard corn instead of canned corn keeps all the smaller buggers like bullheads & gobies off your hook. A feeder is just a piece of bent wire or plastic that holds your chum mix (CHICKEN FEED!). The whole rig looks like this:

May24_09002.jpg

Hell being the cheap bugger I am I couldn't just shell out the $2.50 for one, five minutes with a coat hanger and I came up with this. Works pretty well too!

May24_09007.jpg

Good advice from CLofchic. However at this time of year carp are big eaters and if you don't have something on the bottom to hold them they will move on. If you put some soaked or boiled maise out you will hold more than 1 carp in your swim( this is what we carp anglers call the spot you are fishing) and can induce them to feed competetively . Then you can be in for some good times with fish after fish on. Also in rivers throughout the year this same thing applies if you don't chum in a river the carp are quickly gone and you are fishing for the odd one passing through. Chicken feed particularly Layer Crumble is great for ground bait/chum and on the feeder. I use it all the time. Stay away from the Chick Starter as it contains antibiotics. Here in Hamilton a good place to buy this stuff and more is Tregunno Seeds on Catherine St. They are all kinds of great stuff for carp bait in different sized bags from 1 to 50 lbs. There is no one baiting strategy that is perfect for all occasions.

You have to decide what do and use, based on the conditions you are facing. Just like any other fish you are going for.

I have been visited by COs half a dozen times while carp fishing and they have never said anything to me about chumming. I think if it was illegal someone would have been charged by now and word would have spread through the carping community.

Oh and CLofchick spring feeders, like your homemader are available at only a buck a piece.

So get some bait out there and make sure your reel has a good drag. You will need it. :)

Catching this morning was not to be...the cold front gave the carp lock-jaw I think...not a total loss though as we seen several stick their heads out to check the weather so we know they are in the area...hoping today's chumming will bring some in for tomorrow morning...this is the earliest we have tried in the spring...last year it wasn't 'till Father's Day weekend... :rolleyes:

After 2 hours of shivering and shaking from the below normal temps and gale force winds this morning, we agreed that our first thoughts of it being too early for carp fishing in the Kawarthas were correct...

We like a chop on the water but today's whitecaps were ridiculous...but...we will probably be back at it next weekend... :wacko:

Edited by Beans

I walked the Thames for a bit this morning, and saw a few carp. The river is high and muddy though. I've been seeing a lot of carp laying dead on the shore since the big storm the other night. Is this just from fisherman throwing them aside as 'garbage' fish, or could the heavy rain over the last few days have caused this?