Queen Elizabeth II Wildlands

johnnyb

I understand that this is deemed a provincial park, and has a section of the Ganaraska trail running through it.....I figure it looks to be a nice little region to drop the canoe in for a one or two night excursion with my son...who wants to camp this year, but not take on anything too grueling.

does anybody have any experience with this area? Any research I've done comes up with a lot of hiking trail info, but not much for water travel, even though there's a pile of lakes in there.

Any info/experiences/feedback is appreciated, as always :canadian:

Go the the forums on myccr.com and do a search. It has been discussed there. There were/are(?) some fishing lodges or camps on a couple of the lakes. Seems there maybe a potential for speckled trout but more predictably bass.

Don't believe any of the routes are maintained and may present a challenging trip.

I was looking into it when I lived in S. Ont but moved away before I made the trip.

Lots of good bass lakes, but next to zero access.

I've been through a few lakes in there before it became a park, but with Fishog access closed and everybody being a parking nazi now I just drive an hour further North to real Crown Land and zero hassles.

For a one or two night easy weekender Kawartha Highlands would be a good choice, either Bottle/Sucker or with a little more work Serpentine.

Edited by CLofchik

It's not a great tripping area: the portages are not well established and access is not great. For a short trip in the area, I would reccomend Kawartha Highlands, Poker Lakes, Big East (no portages, great campsites), or somewhere in the Haliburton Highlands water trails system.

It has been set aside for future development as part of the Ontario Living Legacy project a few years back. There are many, many areas around the province that have been designated as such. It's hard to say whether it ever will be developed.

Edited by big guy