The Old Knife

bigugli

There is something to be gained by buying durable quality goods, tools and such. They last for what seems forever.

When I was a boy, My Gram went on a trip home to Finland. The only visit home she would ever make. When she got back she had a special gift for me tucked in the suitcase. She had brought me a genuine original Rapala filleting knife ( they weren't so readily available back then). In 40 ars/years this knife has been everywhere. Lord knows how many thousands of fish and small game I've carved up with the blade. Easy to keen up the blade and the right amount of flexibility made it a joy to use. Regretably, it got old and the blade too thin. Dropped it on the floor while honing and cleaning this morning and 'snap' the tip broke off.

DSCN2498.jpg

Guess I'll finally have to break in a new blade. Thankfully I've 1 spare, and 1 I've never even used.

I retired my first rapala knive 4-5 years ago. I wish I had taken pictures of it to compare it to yours. I think mine was alot thinner then yours before I finally threw it out.

I have 3 other manual knives. All rapala's. Still great knives...but they don't hold an edge near as well as my first one. And since I got an electric 2 years ago I hardly ever use them.

If only they could talk. Old knives would have alot of tales to tell.