First ever Wally experience

MillerPhoto

Well today was my first ever walleye experience.. Went fishing with a buddy of mine out on Rice Lake, about 14FOW right along the weedline..

I brought home 3, my buddy brought home one, so I gave him one of mine.. Least I can do for him taking me out!

We had alot of hits, and a couple right to the boat before they threw the hook. We launched from Gores Landing, and was on the water by about 8:30am.

Finished off our trip around 1pm.

The three I boated, plus one about 12" that I threw back..

All caught on different lures.. 3/8oz White Bucktail, #7 Deep Diver Fat Rap Perch Color, 3" Black/Silver Rapala, 3/8oz Green/Yelow Jig w/orange body

The two I kept, in the photo is the two on the right side of the stringer.

1lb 7oz - 17"

2lb 2oz - 18 1/2"

DSC00006_small.jpg

Thanks, yeah.. Not much left for freshwater that I havn't caught... I think all thats left is Gar,Sturgeon,Musky,Bowfin,White Fish, and a few others that are only really found out west, like Grayling.

well it was overcast in the morning when we first got there... but only for the first.. 2 hours.. then it was sunny. had some wallys follow the lures right to the side of the boat!!

They were very tasty.. But I only made up a small amount, vaccum packed the rest and froze them. Next week going down to Nova Scotia to my grandparents on my dads side and to PEI to my grandparents on my moms side, and they love pickerel but the fish doesn't exist is the waters down there.

I used this recipe that I came up with.. you try it, was very good!!

1) Rise Fish

2) Roll in a Mixture of Flour, Fresh Ground Pepper and Sea Salt

3) Milk Bath 3% prefered but can use 1% or 2% if not available

4) Roll in Pancake Mix (Aunt Jemima - Not the "Complete Mix" use the on you have to add "Egg and Milk"

5) Fry in medium skillet with about 1/4-1/2 cup of butter "Depending on size of pan" and a 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil "butter won't burn as fast"

It gives is a nice brown color but not burnt flavour, light and crispy, and doesn't over power the taste of the fish.

After making up this recipe last night, its the only one I am going to use!! Going to try it on trout next! Its just so good!