Cruising Carp

JohnF

I know how to tie them but the line would either slip or snap whenever i had a decent fish on.

Started tying them using braid and its been working out prety good so far.

Each one of us got a fish last night, only 3 caught, it was kinda windy and chilly

Edited by Marko

<< still can't tie a "carp rig" :(

watched videos...

tried tieing em just like the video too :dunno:

can I buy the damn things somewhere ?

thanks

Tying hair rigs is super easy

If you can:

1. Thread fishing line through the eye of a hook

2. tie an overhand loop into fishing line

3. Wrap fishing line around a hook 7-15 times

4. Thread fishing line through the eye of a hook again

5. Tie the end of some fishing line to a swivel

If you can do the 5 things above, you can tie a hair rig

I have never seen hair rigs sold for cheaper than what I can make myself.

Hooks:

My favourite are made by Kamasan. Ignoring tax they're $6-$7 a pack and there's 10 in each pack = 70cents a hook

Swivel:

I use generic swivels that are dull in colour. Comes out to $1.95 per pack and there's 12 inside each pack = 16.25 cents per swivel

Hair rig materials

Cheapest I use is mono (comes in 600 yard spools) = .005277 cents per average piece of hook-link material

Most expensive I use is coated braid = Comes out to 18 cents per average piece of material

In total:

Cheapest (mono): $0.86 per rig

Most expensive (coated braid - doubt you'll ever see rigs tied with coated braid in stores): $1.04 per rig

Braid: $0.89 per rig

Fluoro: Price is somewhere in between mono and braid (At least for the fluoro I use)

With that said, I have total confidence in the hooks, swivels and hook-link materials that I use. The hooks and swivels I use aren't the cheapest and there are other suitable alternatives on the market for less $.

Tying hair rigs is super easy

If you can:

1. Thread fishing line through the eye of a hook

2. tie an overhand loop into fishing line

3. Wrap fishing line around a hook 7-15 times

4. Thread fishing line through the eye of a hook again

5. Tie the end of some fishing line to a swivel

If you can do the 5 things above, you can tie a hair rig

I have never seen hair rigs sold for cheaper than what I can make myself.

Hooks:

My favourite are made by Kamasan. Ignoring tax they're $6-$7 a pack and there's 10 in each pack = 70cents a hook

Swivel:

I use generic swivels that are dull in colour. Comes out to $1.95 per pack and there's 12 inside each pack = 16.25 cents per swivel

Hair rig materials

Cheapest I use is mono (comes in 600 yard spools) = .005277 cents per average piece of hook-link material

Most expensive I use is coated braid = Comes out to 18 cents per average piece of material

In total:

Cheapest (mono): $0.86 per rig

Most expensive (coated braid - doubt you'll ever see rigs tied with coated braid in stores): $1.04 per rig

Braid: $0.89 per rig

Fluoro: Price is somewhere in between mono and braid (At least for the fluoro I use)

With that said, I have total confidence in the hooks, swivels and hook-link materials that I use. The hooks and swivels I use aren't the cheapest and there are other suitable alternatives on the market for less $.

You can go my way.... :thumbsup_anim: The Ultra Point Hooks are extremely sharp and never straightens out. And 15lb power pro along with any kind of swivel. MJL hates Ultra Points but I stand by them. Cheaper than Kamasan for sure. :clapping:

DSN

• 1 month later...

i wold try the area in a week or 2 then when i go i chum corn or bait a bit away from where all the carp are...then i use corn on a hook with split shot.this usually works in my past expeirience there is no real point of going after carp that are on the surface.