Power Pro Question

siwash

Hey folks,

When using Power Pro and metal leaders (pike), should you still tie on a piece of florocarbon or can you just tie on the leader directly? It seems pointless to me to tie on floro leader when tying on a highly visible metal leader.

Does anyone simply tie on their crankbaits directly to Power Pro (without metal leader), or is a floro leader a must?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I would just tie the metal leader right to your braided line since like you said the leader is very visible. I don't use metal leaders since they are so visible. I use high test leaders, fluorocarbon around 50 pound or higher to be safe would be best. I think a leader is a must but when fishing dirty water where there are lots of snags I sometimes tie directly to the braid and get away with it. Although fishing crank baits you might want to use a long leader because braided line doesn't sink so its harder to get your lure to the bottom appose to monofilament or fluorocarbon.

I agree tie directly to the leader.

Be aware however that if you set the hook into a log, you won't be able to pull the line till it breaks. Get as close as you can to the lure then pull out your knife, reach into the water with tension on the like and cut the braid.

I agree tie directly to the leader.

Be aware however that if you set the hook into a log, you won't be able to pull the line till it breaks. Get as close as you can to the lure then pull out your knife, reach into the water with tension on the like and cut the braid.

When using Fireline, I like to get on the opposite side of the snag and pull on the line with leather gloves. I find it will either come loose, snap at the knot or, more often than you'd think, it'll bend or even break the hook and up it comes. The leather gloves are a must if you don't want to cut your hands.

Edited by Fishnwire