issues with 60hp Johnson VRO

kenzy31

hey guys, I'm having some issues with my motor. we had it in the water for the first time yesterday after dealing with our electrical problem and ran into yet another. after putting far enough from the launch, i put the hammer down and the boat picked up nicely, got on plane, and we were on our way...for about 5 -10 seconds. then the speed dropped to less than half but the rpm's seemed to stay the same. i don't have a tach so not sure if they actually did remain the same but they didn't sound to drop. so we limped back to the launch, pulled, checked, and changed the plugs, fired up and tried again. for the rest of runs we tried, we couldn't reach anything close to half speed. just to give you some background on this motor --- mid 80's 60hp VRO, bought last year. had probs with the carbs after 2-3 trips, found stuck needles, rebuilt all 3. ran fine for the rest of the year. end of season, hit rock going full out, tore skeg, hole in lower unit, damaged prop. dad bought blown motor and had his friend install the lower unit. we stored for the winter. 4 weeks ago we finally got around to getting it ready for the opener, only to find it wouldn't start traced it back to loose and corroded wires. got that fixed, then noticed once running there was no water from the piss hole. tube from impeller was disconnected. last week we dropped the lower unit, reinstalled hose, good to go. motor was running great with the muffs on, shooting water, revving, changing gears, etc. that brings us to yesterday.... sorry for the long post but i wanted to give as much info as possible to you guys in the hope you can help me out.

thanks,

Jesse

I have a 1985 50hp VRO Johnson on my boat and it runs like a top for (know on wood) 24 years.......

I believe you have a bad prop, it could be slipping within itself. If it revs it's not the motor but rather the prop.

Bob

VRO is Garbage...

save yourself the pain and disconnect it and manually mix the oil...

Like Gerritt says, they're known to go, so just mix oil manually and never worry about it...

sounds like a spun hub...

Are you saying this with experience with the VRO system because I am and I know SEVERAL others and they are all holding up VERY WELL. As I have said 24 years now and it runs like a top. I would purchase another VRO motor in a heartbeat.......... :D THIS IS MUCH BETTER THAN MIXING OIL ! ! ! ;)

actually the first thing dad said when we got this last year was "that oil injection has got to go!" so funny you should mention that. any info on how to disconnect would be appreciated. thanks for all replies guys, very helpful!

Jesse

Guest steel'n'esox

I have a 1993 60hp Johnson that blew up after 2 years of use, VRO was the problem and my motor was acting the exact same way your is, disconnect the VRO pump and completely remove it from your boat and any lines to it as I also replaced my fuel pump with an early 80s model thats separate from the VRO, as it still ran like a piece of crap until I replced the fuel pump. The omc rep for southern ont. said they had 1500 60 and 70s blow that year, and omc would not cover any under warranty unless they were under one year. I am assuming yours is the 3 cylinder as these were the blowers, youll know its blown when the piston comes up to top dead centre and smashes into the head. I know premix 50:1 amsoil synthetic, and it runs better than it ever has, blew up 10 years ago and cylinders are still 120 lbs in each.

Guest steel'n'esox

Also with those motors as long as theirs oil of any amount your warning horns wont go as the sensor only knows when theirs no oil, but the tell tail warning sign is what your experiencing, if you let the motor cool it will start and go again until it warms up then it will either quit or you wont have power as its heat seizing which usually takes out the middle or bottom piston, as the middle piston gets heat from the upper and lower piston and the bottom just doesnt get the proper lubrication,

when I had hubs go

It revved way too high as it was getting up on plane and I had to give it less gas to stop the slipping

I think it is a problem with the oil injection or could be a water pump problem

to me it sounds like the motor is slowing itself down to save the motor