X-Rap floats after a hit!!?!????

MSBruno

My Rapala X-Rap no longer suspends and now floats after it was used to land a pike.

I understand that now it's now retired and this stuff happens (it's done it's job), but this raises the question as to what happens to a X-Rap during a hit to make it float? No exterior markings are noticed, so I'm not sure whats going on inside.

Any thoughts? Internal weights get moved around, but I know I didn't loose one .... !?!??!!

retired?...it'll still catch fish if it floats up.....

add some suspend dots to make it suspend again....I would guess that chambers inside the bait have been damaged some how and the balance is off...

I'm just perplexed as to how the chamber was damaged. Doesn't make sense.

well for starters, IMO at least, very rarely do suspending lures truly suspend....they either float/sink very slowly....

what happened....pike + jaws + lure + hookset + fight = broken lure

how it happened....there are cavaties inside the bait, some hold air, some hold steel bb's which are used to create a rattle but also help with casting and to suspend the lure....I'd say that your lure took a big hit when the pike hit your lure, or during the fight, and the pressure on the body of the bait caused one of the chambers to break inside the bait...

does the xrap float up head first by any chance?....

well for starters, IMO at least, very rarely do suspending lures truly suspend....they either float/sink very slowly....

what happened....pike + jaws + lure + hookset + fight = broken lure

how it happened....there are cavaties inside the bait, some hold air, some hold steel bb's which are used to create a rattle but also help with casting and to suspend the lure....I'd say that your lure took a big hit when the pike hit your lure, or during the fight, and the pressure on the body of the bait caused one of the chambers to break inside the bait...

does the xrap float up head first by any chance?....

it used to very slowly float head up while suspending, but now the whole thing just floats up much quicker

Sounds like the pike knocked a few BB's out of it.

Call Rapala, they'll most likely replace it without a fuss.

No BB's could've escaped as there are no visible markings.

I've emailed Rap-A-La.