Rod Recommendations

hoops12

Hello,

I'm looking for a new rod to fish crankbaits, Xraps and swim baits with. Any suggestions on type, and length

Thanks for your help

Oh ya...I'm looking to spend around $100 bucs, and this rod will be matched up with my new Citica reel.

Shimano Compre CPCC in 6'6" or 7 foot.

The longer rod throws a little farther, the shorter one is a little more accurate.

Medium or medium heavy depending on the size of baits you throw.

Good rods, nice hardware and a lifetime warranty and it should fall within your budget.

I have both a Compre CPCC66MHB and a St. Croix PC66MM. Both are great rods. If most of the time you're throwing small to medium crankbaits, go with the medium. It bends more and gives more action. The PC66MM weighs only 3.5oz!!! I got it on sale last year from JB Fishing Depot for like $90.

Hoops12,

If you are looking to throw crankbaits look at the Shimano Compre like Garry2rs said but try to find the TC4 crankbait models. They are a composite of E Glass and Graphite so they are very light weight and sensitive but have the proper parabolic bend and specifically designed for such presentations. The 7'0 medium heavy model number CPC-C70MHB that is rated 10-20 pound line spooled up with 12-15 pound fluorocarbon will be an awesome set up, especially for the Crankbaits and swimbaits. Lifetime warranty with Fuji Hardloy guides for around $100 is almost impossible to beat!

Good luck

JP

Edited by JPD

I used to think Ugly Sticks might be good for children...until I found out that your not allowed to hit them!

Just for that I'm bringin' my Ugly Stik to the Walleye Hunt.

Of course it's only a 5'6 Lite w/6# mono (cheap I suspect) on a $9 reel but that should be good enuf, huh? :whistling:

JF

I have an couple Compre' 6'6" MH.. and find them un co-operative for reeling in a crank bait that require wrist action.

I've found that the Berkeley Gorilla Stick 6'6" MH is by far more co-operative that the Compre in the same situation

and not to mention 50% less expensive.

just my opinion..

good fishing!!

RFS

:canadian:

friends don't let friends buy ugly sticks.

It is a casting rod so I would go with a 7' 1 piece m or mh. Almost every manufacturer makes one in that price range. There are a few decent fenwicks around and the St Croix Mojo is in that price category as well. I like my 7ft rods better than my 6'6 rods but that is just my $0.02

For versatily on a spin cast set up ...my vote goes to a 10' 6 medium action with 8 pound line ...you can haul in perch and crappie but still land a salmon or rainbow...long enough to set up a float system should it be required but yet still capable to chuck heavy hardware to light flat fish

For my spinning set up i use a 10 ' 6 Fenwick /Abu spinning reel