Superior Metalworks

All you can say about Saturday was EPIC!!!! One of my best days fishing for mykiss ever.

I can usually gauge if we are starting a trip normal early or extra early based on the response from the Hortons drive through girl. This morning they didn’t have bagels, breakfast sandwiches or donuts. Just 4 leftover cookies from last night. So with a stupid early start we headed up the hwy.

Nearing our destination we spotted 2 massive timber wolves, some of the bigger specimens I have encountered, tried to double back for a picture but they were elusive.

Just as we got out of the car it started to snow, not your regular flakes either in 5 mins the ground was covered and there was no sign of it stopping. It ended up snow all morning (4 or 5") making picture taking an exercise in futility. No decent shots until things calmed down around noon.

We started off 3 for 4...4 drifts 3 fish. They were hitting everything, holding shallow and fighting hard in the cold water. Got a bunch of doubles....

BH37.jpg

As the day wore on we found the fish moving deeper and were a bit more finicky. Changing to beads, and globugs got a renewed interest from the fish. Also as brief flurries came through fresh runs of fish moved up the river adding some aggressive fish into the mix.

BH39.jpg

Best one of the day

BH43.jpg

Late afternoon we headed back in bright sun and warm temps.

What a day. My arm was actually sore Sunday.

Great report and thanks for sharing. Can't imagine what it must be to live around all that gorgeous scenery with mint wild fish like those. I'm so tempted to pack my things and head north for a spur-the-moment road-trip :thumbsup_anim:

Great report and thanks for sharing. Can't imagine what it must be to live around all that gorgeous scenery with mint wild fish like those. I'm so tempted to pack my things and head north for a spur-the-moment road-trip :thumbsup_anim:

Its pretty cool :thumbsup_anim:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

this was definitely my best day of steelheadin'...

the morning, while cold and miserable, was incredible!

my highlight of the morning was finding an american gent, lost as a 2 year old in walmart, wandering the trail systems looking for the parking lot. he looked like he had clearly spent an unexpectedly frigid night on the superior coast.

superior metalworks has a definite nice ring to our rogue north shore posse.

Hey Troutologist!! Looking at your pics i realized you were the other group fishing the river that day and what a day it was!! Snow all morning, fish all through the day and i couldn't feel my fingers or toes half the day!! We stayed till 4pm put 16 on the bank, all released! lost more than that especially at about 2 when a fresh run came up and it went heywire for about 20 min! Nice pics i'll post mine later!