Carpin' On- the week in review

iCarp

Well, the bite is still a bit erratic, just like the weather. I've given up trying to figure out what turns them on, to be honest.

Yesterday morning a good number of anglers showed up for a fish-in in Hamilton. Unfortunately, only hammercarp (well, fortunately for him) caught any- three smaller carp. I had three runs, but every time I was miles away from my rod either helping a young friend who's just getting started in carp fishing or talking tackle with someone. Everyone else had a quiet time of it fishwise, but we all had a great time of it meeting up and catching up with other carpers from the area. Reports from around the bay yesterday were a bit disappointing- the fish seemed to have taken the day off. I had five on Saturday in about an hour and a half at the same spot that was a blankfest Sunday- go figure.

Overall, though, it was a pretty good week. No single spot was consistent (well, maybe one), but some nice catches came out of the water. I'm still stuck on method balls and the same flavour of giant corn fished at the same spot most mornings- too lazy to change- and a fair number of fish ended up in the net.

I'm hoping that the crucians start biting soon- the whip is in the car waiting to get put into action. By this time last year the whip guys were doing pretty good.

Here are a couple of photos from the past week:

IMG_1685.JPG

P5020003.JPG

Edited by iCarp

Seen any channels come out of that spot in the last week?

I had a complete blanking on the pike yesterday, Plan B was to stop there in the afternoon to pick up some carp but the action didn't pick up after you left.

Well, hammercarp, do they count after the banner's been taken down? ;) In that case, I got one at the fish-in. Woo-hoo!

Mike The Bass...- I thought the first one was 34lb 14oz, but I've been corrected by my netboy, who helped with the measurements. Apparently, it was 36lb 14oz.

CLofchik- I've caught one small channel so far and the young lad I've been fishing with caught one on Friday, also small. Everything seems a bit late this year, including the channel cats. Sorry to hear that the inaction was consistent after I left. It's still a bit spotty around the bay.

limeyangler- Did I mention my new carp guide service for visitors from the old country? :D

kennyman- My super secret go-to bait for big fish is pure luck- works every time. A lot of guys are using pineapple and tutti frutti right now, or a combination of both. I've been pretty fortunate with mintzilla- my custom blend of natural mint flavours and vanilla, with a few added goodies.

Well, hammercarp, do they count after the banner's been taken down? ;) In that case, I got one at the fish-in. Woo-hoo!

Mike The Bass...- I thought the first one was 34lb 14oz, but I've been corrected by my netboy, who helped with the measurements. Apparently, it was 36lb 14oz.

CLofchik- I've caught one small channel so far and the young lad I've been fishing with caught one on Friday, also small. Everything seems a bit late this year, including the channel cats. Sorry to hear that the inaction was consistent after I left. It's still a bit spotty around the bay.

limeyangler- Did I mention my new carp guide service for visitors from the old country? :D

kennyman- My super secret go-to bait for big fish is pure luck- works every time. A lot of guys are using pineapple and tutti frutti right now, or a combination of both. I've been pretty fortunate with mintzilla- my custom blend of natural mint flavours and vanilla, with a few added goodies.

The banner was not taken down the wind ripped it loose on one side. The fish-in was scheduled to last until 4pm .I fished until then. ;)

Edited by hammercarp

That's a fantastic week by any standard. Gorgeous fish! I know a couple other anglers (myself included) itching to get down to Hammy harbour for the big girls.

The giant corn has worked quite well for me in most places I fish too. Fish just love it.