replacing a bilge pump

tomO

the pump on my brothers targa doesn't run,I think the switch on the dash is ok at least its lighting up.I really haven't got into it yet, looks like I'll have to pull up the whole back deck to get to it. Other than time is this a fairly simple job.

Generally fairly easy. First test the switch with a continuity tester or volt meter. If good ensure power is getting to the pump.

If required changing the pump requires removing and reinstalling the discharge hose, mounting the pump and re hooking the power. Consider a bilge pump with a float switch which will automatically kick in when needed. Best location is center back of the boat.

Rick

Edited by Woodsman

Like north east shark said - before you replace anything try to make sure something just hasn't gotten itself jammed in the pump. That happened to me once - a metal shaving got stuck in the pump - removed it and it worked like a charm. Also - make sure you have a manual bailing system (at least a bail bucket) on board. good luck.

If the switch lights up it is most likely not a fuse unless there is one inline between the switch and pump. Check to ensure power is getting to the pump. A bad switch or corroded connection at the switch or pump could be your problem. As also mentioned the pump many have something jamming it up. Check everything out before replacing the pump.

Rick

It's a pretty easy job. Don't replace with a cheap one. It won't pump out fast enough for you. Make sure the hose connections are the same size as well that way all you have to do is unclamp them at the pump and not replace the tubing.

I opt not to go with a float switch as I have had to replace three pumps in the last year from them getting stuck on when bouncing around. My boat now has an external one that all I have to do is connect the wire when it's sitting in the water over night. Other than that it is always manual.

The hardest part is learning how to do a headstand on your boat while making your arms bend about five different ways under the floor boards.