Quick Callander Bay Report

mason05

Got up early Friday morning and hit the road with Sherriff and some of his hooligan pals. After a long drive we finally arrived at the bay. Got moved in to our hut and set up by 3pm Friday and immediately got lines down hoping for pickerel and pike. Well Friday turned out to be tough with no fish landed. Saturday morning everyone was up early and back at it. The morning was slow but then around noon we started getting hits. A few perch and several herring within minutes.

med_gallery_292_41_27424.jpg

med_gallery_292_41_43207.jpg

After the perch and herring schools moved through the bite turned off again. About 20 minutes later Sherriff finally hooks into one of the 2 species we were in searh of. Nice chubby female. Maybe 3-4 lbs and got the boys buzzin' hoping more were around.

gallery_292_41_27208.jpg

Finally, what would be a trip without a drunken jam session complete with dirty lyrics! We were having a blast and carrying on until the wee hours of the night.

gallery_292_41_26744.jpg

Well our time was up Sunday morning so we packed up and hit the road. I had a blast this weekend and can't wait to get out again. I'm sure Sherriff will post a more detailed report as he took quite a few photos.

Cheers,

Corn Nug

Edited by Corn Nug

Life is good in the bungalowes. Fishing inches from your bed what luxury. Were you at Rob's ? Sorry the fishing was slow, somtimes it can be hot in Callender. I like the way you never know what you will get next.Thanks for the report.

Met all the guys at my place early Friday morning for out annual Callendar Bay trip to Rob Hyatt's. Great spot and Rob always makes sure everyone has everything they need.

Was pretty pumped since I convinced a few buddies who have never been on the ice before to join us this year. Had 10 total. 2, 6 man sleeper huts.

Fishing was SLOW and my hut was really crap. Managed only two fish in my hut but that's not too bad considering that only 10 fish were caught all weekend. Not counting the litter of mud puppies that were brough in..

Some of the guys were getting constant hits but could not set the hook. After some messing around they did get into some dink perch and herring.

CIMG0033.jpg

CIMG0035.jpg

My one buddy caught the first fish, a perch on this sweet setup he tied himself and refused to change it all weekend because it DID catch a fish. Can't argue with that I guess..

CIMG0037.jpg

I was skunked up there last year and for the May 24 opener as well so it looked like I was getting another good skunking this time. I headed over to the other hut for some beers and took my rod along. The guys managed a few more herring and then I hear a reel screaming. Lee's rod was bent over the hole and something was peeling his line and it was angry. Was the best 10 seconds of action he had all weekend. Snap! Gone. That got us all pumped for a while and then I think I hooked his pike. Took me a little while to get this one in. Was still great to lose my skunk and get onto the board. Turned out to be the best fish of the trip.

CIMG0031.jpg

More puppies

CIMG0022.jpg

Late Saturday night while playing poker one of the rods started bouncing, I set the hook and brough in our only Walleye. Was over the slot and a fatty but she went back down the hole. None of the other huts did too well either. Was really slow. All of fish came on white jigs tipped with a minnow or just a small hook and a minnow.....

We decided to bail out early Sunday to get home for the game. Weather was getting bad on Hwy 11 North. Road were terrible.

CIMG0057.jpg

I had some other guys coming over to my place for our annual Steak Bowl party. It's a simple but disgusting concept. We get steaks in ounces to match the Super Bowl number. 41 ounces this year! A few pansies took some leftovers home and won't be invited back next year.

Don't have all the pics but here is an idea of the disgusting amount of meat we consumed. Rare for me.....

CIMG0060.jpg

Group Shot

CIMG0062.jpg

Then a midnight snack

CIMG0069.jpg

Great weekend, lots of fun, poker, eating and some good fishing. Was a blast CornNug...

Sherriff