Don't know if this is a good deal but..

Cudz

I saw a brand new vexilar FL-8SE for sale today at a clearance price of $224.99. I don't know much about these units but I have heard some people especially hardwater folk swear by them. I don't even know if it is a good price but it said clearance and if it is a good deal I would like someone here to get it.

Welcome to battle of the brands. When you buy one, your brand instantly becomes better than the next. Hardcore ice guys have debated this subject on which brand is better, which is more sensitive, yada yada yada to death. Check out this here and figure out which one is for you:http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=38003.0

Then the forums ice fishing electronic section which is full of reviews ect. Dont let a sale price be the main deciding factor on which unit you want to buy. These things pay themselves off after a couple years.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=74.0 (Also, these are the American fishing boards... aka everyone has a temper. Best not to post on that forum, ice fishing makes those people bitterly insane)

Its a pretty good price. If youve never owned a flasher before, the fl8 is definitly a good starting unit. However, make sure to keep your options open. The new lowrance ice machine seems to be pretty hot this year aswell. I have a humminbird ice 35, its a great unit, and I havent had any problems at all with it. Without it I probably would have caught maybe 1/2 the fish I would have. It really gives you confidence in your holes.

Once you use one, you wont want to stop using it. When you dont bring it, you definitly feel like you just decreased your odds of catching fish by allot. And really though, ice fishing is about 100x more exciting with one too. Its probably the equivelent to watching a huge pike follow your bait in during soft water.

Keep your eyes open for a unit (if thats the one you want, grab it, wont regret it) and get ready for a long 8 month wait in anticipation to really see what all the buzz is about. Also, make sure you test it out on the softwater, im not sure if youd be able to return it to the store 8 months from now if it doesnt work.

well if anyone wants it, it is in Barrie at South store Canadian tire. Wow! I have been pumping CT lately. No, I don't work there and I don't have shares in it either.

Ya...but you sure put a smile on CCMT's face... :lol:

I bought a new Marcum LX-5 (their top model) at the end of the season this year for $299 US

The sale was touted as the lowest price you will ever see them for, so I just had to buy it. ;)

I think that any of these new ice machines are as good as each other, you just need to pick one you like with the options you need and plunk down your cash. I wanted the marcum because it's zoom feature is adjustable anywhere in the water coloumn where as the vex is a fixed bottom zoom. Other than that I would say they are equal (the top models atleast). I will say that they are a lot more sensitive than the older flashers I have been using plus the three colour display helps to pick out fish and your lure.