Replacing Oil Filter in Mercury 9.9 fourstroke?

Bing

Hi guys thought I would do a little maintenance on my 9.9 Mercury fourstroke. I ordered a oil filter for it and not that I have it, I can't find where the oil filter even is LOL. Can anyone give me a hint.

Thanks,

Bing

I read in the owner's manuel to replace the oil and oil filter every 100 hours or once a year. I called my local Mercury dealer and asked for a oil filter and gave him the serial number. They actually ordered one in and I have it. I can't find one on the motor. Boy do I feel stupid.

Okay.. this one peaked my curiosity... apparently '95 to '02 use a filter like this

18-7901.jpg

I also see listings for this filter for 8/9.9 and 15

OilFilter4Stroke822626K03.png

.. but have no idea what year they go on. All I know is my 2007 doesn't have an oil filter... not one that I've found at least ! lol

Okay.. this one peaked my curiosity... apparently '95 to '02 use a filter like this

18-7901.jpg

I also see listings for this filter for 8/9.9 and 15

OilFilter4Stroke822626K03.png

.. but have no idea what year they go on. All I know is my 2007 doesn't have an oil filter... not one that I've found at least ! lol

The top one is just an oil stainer, its a Yamaha power head,

if thats the one in your motor and the screen is not damaged Just clean it with some solvent, dry and put it back. no need to replace.

my 9.9hp merc 4-stroke has an oil filter on the port side of the engine, it's a 2003 model year, it's also the same filter on yamaha snowmobiles and motorcycles the wix or fram number i just can't remember right now

Edited by ecmilley

I don't know.. if yours is the screen type thing.. as has been said they were yamaha power heads.. from '95 to '02.. so maybe your '03 was an early production still using the screen?

When you say the port side of the engine.. under the cowling or on the side of the case.. maybe I have been into too much aluminum dust..

I looked again... and definitely no filter or screen.. Dug out the manual... no mention of a filter in it either. Shows how to drain and fill the oil... no filter install/#/info what so ever. Guess they determined it was a cost reduction they could make without reliability issues.