Credit River (without fly fishing)

oates

Hi all,

I went out last year (once) to the Credit River (can't remember where, but about 45 mins north of Miss.) it was absolutely beautiful, just a wonderfully preserved area. I had just started fishing, was completely clueless, I actually had flys and a non fly fishing rod?!?! Anyway, enjoyed the day out. I waded through fast flowing water, no one fishing there. I had two questions

1. Is it realistic to catch trout without fly fishing, like with a reg. rod and lure? (since the Credit seems to emphasise fly fishing)

2. Does anyone know the general vacinity to fish for them on this river (just the general area, I like wading and exploring, don't need any secret locations)

I don't see too much discussion about the Credit here, perhaps it isn't too popular.

Thanks, by the way, this has to be the most interesting fishing forum (stories, tips, pics, debate)

Tony

No live bait and all hooks need to be single barbless(no trebles) It's gorgeous place and even if you don't catch fish, it's a treat to be out there anyhow.. I'm the exact opposite, I can't catch anything on my flyrod (although I am a newb to it) but do ok on spinning gear.

UL rod, 4lb mono and some small #0 #1 spinners...

Example of a nice fish I got in that area last year.

brookie005.jpg

Edited by BillM

Oates,

Some of my best fish (not on the Credit bit it shouldn't matter) in Lake Ontario tribs have been caught while drifting wet or sinking flies like nymphs and streamers. These have been drifted on a fairly long rod (9 feet) but with a spinning reel with light lb test (4-6 lb) and a few round pinch type sinkers spaced about 6 inches apart and a steelhead (smallest you can get away with) float. I do fly fish successfully as well but have found sometimes it is just easier to use the above setup. Look for promising deep pools for resting fish but don't forget to drift over riffles and sunken rocks etc. since a fly/nymph rolling over these is a very natural presentation. Watch your float! Good luck!

As Bill M mentioned, please note the special regulations which apply to all water upstream of Olde Baseline Road in Caledon. In addition to no bait and single barbless hooks, all Trout are Catch & Release only. This does not preclude fishing with spinning gear as long as you follow the regs and as Bill mentioned, small spinners can be quite effective.

I'm a dyed in the wool Steelheader but I spend a considerable amount of time in my favourite haunts during the late spring and early summer months on the Upper Credit with my 4wt. Generally speaking, the upper river can be divided into two sections - below the escarpment ie "The Cataract" (which is a waterfall where the river spills over the escarpment) and above the Cataract. You'll primarily find Browns below and Brookies above.

A map with access points and landmarks ie the Cataract:

http://www.creditvalleycons.com/recandleis...aplargeview.htm

Here's a few of the incredible (wild) specimens that lurk up there!

52507-4.jpg

60707-8.jpg

1-1.jpg

You can use spinning gear to catch trout there as well. Like was mentioned size #0 or #1 mepps spinners or similar sized

Panther Martin spinners work pretty good. Just pinch down barbs if regulations call for it in the area.

You probably would need waders and have to walk the river to find pools and riffles holding fish.They could be anywhere there.

Here is a nice brookie from last spring in that area. Held nearly vertical as was caught along a sandbank.

Brookie2.jpg

Dave, flyfishing for me almost reminds me of trying to catch steelhead in the Notty :) :)

I was telling Mike on a recent trip about the hatch I ended up in the middle of at the end of last years season. I think they were blue winged olives, but they were everywhere. All in the span of about 45mins or so. Ran back to the car to grab the flyrod, do you think I could hook into anything? lol... Fish rising all over the place, and not one thought my presentation was good enough to take a swipe at.

Flyfishing is definitely a humbling way to fish.

Dave, flyfishing for me almost reminds me of trying to catch steelhead in the Notty :) :)

I was telling Mike on a recent trip about the hatch I ended up in the middle of at the end of last years season. I think they were blue winged olives, but they were everywhere. All in the span of about 45mins or so. Ran back to the car to grab the flyrod, do you think I could hook into anything? lol... Fish rising all over the place, and not one thought my presentation was good enough to take a swipe at.

Flyfishing is definitely a humbling way to fish.

Agreed, it's humbling but very rewarding once you started getting "dialed-in". The hatch late in the season that you are referring to is Tricorythodes AKA "Tricos". It's actually one of my favourite hatches, and as you found out the Brookies REALLY take notice of them. Your pattern has to be dead-on and TINY ie #18-24!!! I have to admit that it's pretty frustrating when even the "tidlers" ie 6-8" fish are refusing your offering.

Here's a picture of one - it's actually sitting on the cork of my 4wt which really shows how small they actually are!

Trico.jpg

Great feedback guys, glad to know that there are alternatives to Fly fishing for catching trout.

I will see if I can pick up those spinners.

I was looking for regulations (Credit River) on both the MNR site and the CRAA and found this outdated info: http://craa.on.ca/new_regulations.shtml

Does anyone know if it is allowed currently to catch trout or catch and release or nothing at all (i.e. season not open yet), I don't want to follow and old guide.

Thanks to all

Great feedback guys, glad to know that there are alternatives to Fly fishing for catching trout.

I will see if I can pick up those spinners.

I was looking for regulations (Credit River) on both the MNR site and the CRAA and found this outdated info: http://craa.on.ca/new_regulations.shtml

Does anyone know if it is allowed currently to catch trout or catch and release or nothing at all (i.e. season not open yet), I don't want to follow and old guide.

Thanks to all

Regs are confusing at times

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR_E001335.pdf

Jose

If you release all fish caught and use single barbless hooks and no live bait you should have no problems.

I was led to believe a treble with barbs pinched constitutes a 'single' hook.

You just can't keep any fish north of Old Baseline Road etc... but season does open this upcoming Saturday.

Nice browns there too Wallacio!

If you release all fish caught and use single barbless hooks and no live bait you should have no problems.

I was led to believe a treble with barbs pinched constitutes a 'single' hook.

Trebles with the barbs pinched down is a barbless treble!

Cut two of the three hooks off and then pinch the barb down on the third= Single Barbless hook.

Hope this helps!

jjcanoe

A "single" barbless hook on Nipigon is just that.. a single hook. And a "hook" according to the regs is a single, double or treble...so if you're using a rapala... you have to strip it down to one hook and pinch/file the barbs off. Many hooks won't pass "barbless" with them pinched!

Does the credit have a spot in the reg that states a single "point" ???

Regs state that only artifical lures and 'one' barbless hook may be used.

So I think a barbless treble hook would be just fine. It doesn't state 'single' anywhere in the regs.

So you are allowed one hook, whether that be a single or a treble I guess it's up to you.

My advice is, a dry hackle, brown with a bit of gold, smallest you got. Let your line down easy, don't let it smack the water, I learned I was spooking the trout very easily by whipping my line out and when it dropped it would smack the water a bit, don't let it. The science to fly fishing is complex and there are so many variables, but being focused and learning how to drop that fly is what takes you away, your mind is no longer thinking about work or home, time stands still. Then....... BANG!!! Top water action!!

I must say however that EHG has a very good proven method of fishing with the #0 panther martins or mepps, because when they aint hittin the flies, they`re hit the spinners, but when they aint hittin the spinners they`re hittin the fly. Funny. BTW, EHG has a higher success rate with the spinners, its just a fact.

Regs state that only artifical lures and 'one' barbless hook may be used.

So I think a barbless treble hook would be just fine. It doesn't state 'single' anywhere in the regs.

So you are allowed one hook, whether that be a single or a treble I guess it's up to you.

That is what i was thinking Bill, a treble is considered one hook.

Apparently a treble could cause less damage to a fish as it doesn't get swallowed as deep.

Interesting article on that here....

http://www.gordellis.com/articles/tips_02.htm

Went up to the northern parts of the Credit, around Alton, ON. found some access to the river, seemed quite narrow, water depth around 2-3 ft with pools around 5-6 ft. Weather was rough, so I had to wait till it slowed to just light rain, didn't see any action on this part of the river, got maybe one bite (something small, wasn't trout). It was nice and peaceful up there. Perhaps I was beating dead water but what I was curious about is, are you as likely to find trout in streams and shallow waters as one would at wider, deeper parts of the river?

• 3 weeks later...
Wa! :o My reel doesn't work like it should, why, why???? :wallbash::dunno:

Oh yeah, we covered that :rolleyes:

Mods, this brilliant post has made me realize that we have no crying like a little baby emoticon. Can that be fixed?

Thanks!

Jim

Come again? Not sure why you are dragging me into your little argument as I don't recall "crying" about my reel not working. <_< These are likely wasted keystrokes but by your own admission you don't know the difference between a fly reel and a float reel. IF you did you would know that the reel in my picture is a small fly reel and since fly fishing doesn't involve playing out line smoothly which is the purpose of float reel, I have no problems with placing it in the water etc. Perhaps you can look elsewhere to prove your point....