Best guess on boat weight?

Weeds

Hi everbody, I'm thinking of buying a used boat/trailer/motor package deal. Nothing fancy but it would be my first; I would love to have a boat but I don't want to exceed my towing capacity. Actually picking up the tow vehicle from a different seller on Wednesday, a 2005 Pontiac Montanna, will be the newest thing I've ever owned by a longshot. Current towing capacity is 2000 pounds, 3000 or 3500 should I add additional cooling hardware. Now I know this is not the ultimate in tow vehicles by a longshot but the boat I'm purchasing is only a 14 foot fibreglass with a 25hp motor, the trailer looks like it would weigh very little. I don't plan on taking it very far either, most likely local waters 10 minutes to 45 away. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks, Ross

More info on the boat would help , especially pictures.don't forget to add fuel weight,gear , passengers etc when calculating total weight

Mini van make decent tow vehicles , just pic your launchs carefully ... an be sure and release the parking brake :whistling:

We tow a 17 foot lund with a 90hp no problem .

TB

passengers while towing LOL .....ok so I check some specs on 14 ft fiberglass boats most are under 1000lb mark outboards are around 3-5hundred So i'm guessing your safe! I would also recommend a tranny cooler they are always the best bet especially while fishing..could ruin a wonderful day...Speedy is a good outlet and this time of year they might even have a special running!

passengers while towing LOL .....ok so I check some specs on 14 ft fiberglass boats most are under 1000lb mark outboards are around 3-5hundred So i'm guessing your safe! I would also recommend a tranny cooler they are always the best bet especially while fishing..could ruin a wonderful day...Speedy is a good outlet and this time of year they might even have a special running!

some people forget to add in the weight of passengers , gear ( in the boat and the van)

It all needs to be included when calculating weights !

tranney cooler is a good suggestion.

TB

some people forget to add in the weight of passengers , gear ( in the boat and the van)

It all needs to be included when calculating weights !

tranney cooler is a good suggestion.

TB

was just teasing .......if any women are to be calculated good luck getting an accurate weight LMAO!

Thanks for the reponses guys; I don't really know enough about boats to provide much more info. Fibreglass, has a glass/plastic windshield kind of thing, 4 seats, steering wheel and outboard motor. Motor looks like it might weigh 100 pounds approx. I figure I'd probably add a transmission cooler in the near future, looking at installing the hitch and wiring harness myself first. Generally I have very few passengers when I go fishing. Kind of sad really....

You will be fine man I pulled my first boat with 1994 Ford Taurus wagon .It was a gutless V6 but it got the job done.

Your minivan is a rocket compared to my Taurus.

I towed this boat with the Taurus..........16ft Chapparel with a 55, 2 stroke Suzuki .

IMG_0867JPGoldboat.jpg

Edited by Mike the Pike

your van will haul that boat no problem at all.

just keep it out of overdrive while hauling it.

as for the hitch, give eastons a call before you buy your hitch.

there on the 35/115 and they are the cheapest i found

i also own a 2002 montana and it was cheaper to have them install the hitch and the wiring then it was for me to

buy the hitch alone at any other store.

Hey,

Like some others have said above, your Montana will be able to tow the 14footer no problem.

I had a similar situation last year with my boat, a 17foot Ranger 170VS with a 115hp Motor. The Montana is able to tow up to 3500lbs and it pulled my rig with absolutely no issues.

Grab a Class II Trailer Hitch on Kijiji and you'll be set for under $150 dollars.

Good Luck, hope it all works out.

If you like to have apiece of mine,while your driving.

And don't mind spending some money.

Tranny cooler.

oil cooler.

ceramic brakes.

coil over shocks in the back.

Use mid grade gas.

A little expensive. But be able to tow\STOP,STOP,STOP, a 20 footer.

If you like to have apiece of mine,while your driving.

And don't mind spending some money.

Tranny cooler.

oil cooler.

ceramic brakes.

coil over shocks in the back.

Use mid grade gas.

A little expensive. But be able to tow\STOP,STOP,STOP, a 20 footer.

Some good points there Tybo but I think you should buy a truck like Marc's :P