VHF radios

jjcanoe

Looking to get a VHF radio this year not in a great hurry to buy one but just wondering if a base or hand held would be best. I don't venture too far from shore a few miles at most so I don't think I need a base that's why I'm asking I don't know

I'm looking at 3 models of hand held and 1 base all in my budget

1: Cobra MRHH325

2: Hummingbird VHF55SC

3: Uniden Atlantis 250

4: Cobra MFR45 (base)

Anyone used any of these and if so what do you think?

Thanks

jjcanoe

I plan on taking my license test sometime in the spring before I get out on the water but I want to pick up a radio and become familiar with its functions and capabilities beforehand. Thanks for the vote of confidence for the hummingbird

jjcanoe

Take a look at the Uniden or Shakespeare series of radios, good quality. Personally I've tried the handheld models, they just don't have the power to do justice when you need help. Do yourself a favour, get the 25 watt permanent mount and good quality antenna. The best radio with a wet noodle antenna is a waste of time. As for Humminbird products, I've never had any luck at all with them, period. Go check www.durhamradio.com or www.radioworld.ca for info, I prefer dealing with the first, better prices and service.

I have had the HH Humminbird for better than 5 yrs and it works great. I also have a base unit mounted in my boat as well. Don't always like having the antenna up. The range on the HH is max 5-7 miles and the clarity depends on the day but ranger is mostly a concern for clarity. I would recommend the Humminbird with plenty of stores that stock this model itwould be easy to get service if you ever need it.

bass pro also has a good selection,i have the new oceanus 25watt/with all the bells and whistles but make sure you have a good antanae,it makes all the difference.the better ones are all very close in price and most work very well,but stay away from handhelds they only have at max i think 5watts transmitt power and they just dont cut it...go for a permanent mount...its the only way to go good luck cheers :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for all the info guys,

Next questions: Is the antenna permenantly mounted (for base units) or can it be easily removed? I have a 14.5ft boat and use it a lot on smaller inland lakes and don't need an 8ft hook grabber on board when casting. I know they can fold down but can they be left at home without major work?

What is Digital selective calling (DSC) and how important is it to have?

Thanks

jjcanoe

I think you should get both. The fixed mount for distance and the HH for backup and in case the boat goes down. Most HH are waterproof to a few metres so if you go in, you can still use it. Your fixed will be attached to the boat and gone.

I also was out on Lake O one time on a Sunday pm in early June. Went out about 2 miles and engine died. Two kids and me bobbing around on lake O. No other boats in sight. Thats when I found out my fixed mount antennae was not connected right and I could hear but not transmit. Eventually I got the engine started (debris in the carb float needle). Ship happens, have a spare.

I got a good deal on a HH at the spring fishing show from RadioWorld two years ago. Its a Uniden. Safety aside. its great when I leave my wife on the boat at anchor and take the dinghy out for some bay fishing so we can keep in touch using an off channel (not 16).

Just my $0.02.

Edited by Canuck

DSC works with your GPS and transmitts both your radio ID (meaning your ID) and your exact GPS location when you press the switch and transmit. That way the CC or other boaters will be able to pin point your location. Almost all new fixed mount VHF's have it now so it is really not much extra cost. If you see a fixed mount marine VHF without it, it is probably an old model.