Ford explorer

stan_133

I'm for domestics all the way but alot of my mechanic customers call them "Exploders" too. If you stick to a V-8 full size you'll spend alot less in the long run. I'm a GM guy but even a Dodge or Ford full size are pretty great trucks or SUV's. Also, most of the full size seem to get about the same or better mileage overall, especially if you're working them. My buddy had a new Dakota and then got a full size. It was more reliable, drove better and get better mileage. Same thing with another friend who had a Ranger. His full size is keeping him much happier and costing him less money, on gas and repairs etc. (not as bid a difference as the Dodge though). The small S-10/S-15 Blazers and Jimmys are so "underbuilt" they're not even worth talking about. I actually drive a Buick Roadmaster station wagon (my idea of an SUV) and it's been a great car. Same basic idea. It has a big frame and a tried and true 350 V-8 with a 700R4 trans and a 8.5 rear. Same drivetrain as a truck. I know they're not everyones bag but it works for me. It tows our trailer well and gets decent mileage (on the highway) with it on or off. If you're set on a smaller SUV I'd buy a Pathfinder or Forerunner. Just being honest.Super reliable vehicles as well, but probably not any better on fuel (on the highway anyways) than a full size North American V-8 . They have to work so much harder just to pull their own weight around, let alone towing anything, while a V-8 is just breezing down the road. I honestly don't know much about the new Envoys etc. but my bet is that if you got the V-8 version of that it would be pretty decent too or a Dakota etc. with the 4.7L. Anyway, enough of my babblling. Hope you find something you like.

I loved mine...but as mentioned by someone too, it rusted pretty badly in the same spots you see them all rusted; gas tank, rockers etc.

I have a Jeep G Cherokee now and although the room doesn't seem to be as good, I prefer it over the F.E.

Cheers

I have an 02 v6 XLT. It has no rust and with maintenance pulls my boat fully load with ease. If I could afford it I would upgrade to an 07.

Like any vehicle you must maintain, wash, oil changes, drive train services.

I luv the auto four wheel. Switches in and out of 4 wheel with no hesitation.

In my opinion anyways.

Regards

I didn't experience the rusting problems discussed in this thread with my 1991 Explorer. Here's a picture of that 16 year old truck taken in 2007 - still with its original paint. It got me to all those remote fishing spots I like so much for 16 years. All I did was maintain it and treat it with rust proofing each year.

5522IMG_0373_2.jpg

Because I enjoyed my 91 Explorer so much, when I replaced it in 2007, it was with another Explorer. Here's a picture of my current Explorer.

IMG_0402_2.jpg

At least you won't need wheel bearings at 60K for that one Bernie !

BTW.. made Ford change Leah's front left one again in her Sport Trac (Explorer).. and the thumping of course went away that we've fought about for a year.

Both her front wheel bearings, in her 2003, collapsed totally (3" wheel rock) at 61,000 km...

Edited by irishfield

I have had a 2004 Explorer for the past 2 years.It's a V8 4.6l.Only repairs are 1 set of tires and one ball joint in 90,000km.The Explorer makes for a great tow vehicle.If you want a 07 let me know through a p.m and I will get you the best deal in town.

Dan

We own a 07 Explorer and have had ZERO issues with it so far. We have the V8 model and it is a great overall SUV. Tones of power under the hood and I really like the ride and handleing, it is an awsome vehicle in the snow in the winter months and I like it much better than the GMC Envoy it replaced.

I still stick with my F150 most of the time but its a great second vehicle to have around.