Mid-week Steelheading with artificials

jdmls

Got of to a late start and didn't hit the water until 7ish ..... My buddy Mark was first to suite up and shuffled his way to the first seam about 15ft away from the truck. The three of us laughed under our breath and threw cheap shots as we knew he didn't re-tie from his last trip , and would break off forsure on his first fish.. Not even half way down the seam, sure enough "FISH-ON , wooohhooo" dancing around as this droppie rifles him across the pool back and forth...so we waited for it aaand "SNAP"...The three off of burst into laughter, know rushing to get the rest of are gear and made our way down to the water..... Hilarious, and a sign of good thing to come..

I started off drifting some of my "plutonic" roe as a few of my friends call it, and a good 20 mins went by without a sniff.. My buddy in the backround retied a power worm that he hit his first fish on, and not 5 mins after FISHON as he nailed another bullet..... rev4.jpg

at this point I was starting to question the roe..."But there dropbacks"...."Dropbacks love roe !!!"

Not two or three drifts later my buddy hits another one on plastics <_< ... Still not a sniff on the golden roe

P1020622.jpg

After that fish , my two other buddies who swore to their spey rods today walked up river to the next set of pools... I bit the bullet and packed away the ROE , and tied on a shad colored power worm...

Figures..... not 5 seconds after the float calks .... BAM, goes rocketing sideways ... First fish of the day I, slammed the hookset into this fair sized hen... She went balistic to say the least... Awesome fight on the new 1601 ... I wrestled her out of log jams up and down, back and fourth...Half way throught the fight , my shoulder is throbing, and I couldn't believe she was still running and breaking water ... Finally after almost falling in the drink off the bank, my buddy tailed her out ...

P1020626.jpg

close up

P1020627.jpg

She didn't like tha fact that I pulled her away from doin her thing LOL ..Quick pic and I sent her on her way

After enough "I told you so's" from my buddy , I took a seat for a little and basked in the abiance..... That was until of course my buddy sent a drift down my way and I watched his float torpedo down , and this CHROMER skyrockets out of the water a good 2ft... " HOLY CRAP " , did you see that .... "wooohooo" as my buddy parades way at the top of the pool with his IM8 at full crunch to the cork... This football went banana's !!! a while later he finally tired it out and we snapped a quick pick... cleanest fish of the day, what a beauty.

rev3.jpg

Once we figured out what they wanted, things got magical..... We went through 4 bags of power worms , and about 2 dozen jigs ... Colors didn't seem to matter .... Big and vibrant were the key :D

Here's a few more highlights...

P1020632.jpg

P1020638.jpg

P1020628.jpg

rev2.jpg

P1020639.jpg

The Getaway !! ... Came out pretty cool

P1020624.jpg

Some of the slower runs, we had to walk away from for the obvious ...They were wall to wall full of these guys. I had to snap a picture of this double header with mouths full of pink !!!

P1020623.jpg

So many of these little guys.. Great fighters, but they destroy the pinkies on impact ...

P1020635.jpg

rev5.jpg

P1020625.jpg

My jig of the day ... I shed a tear when I broke it off in the wood.

P1020633.jpg

P1020612.jpg

P1020609.jpg

P1020634.jpg

P1020636.jpg

rev1.jpg

A stellar day of chrome for mid April, that will not soon be forgoten ...

Wow, great catching looks like an amazing outing. :clapping:

Certainly a day to remember. Wondering how the carp fought on the float rod setup?

Usually enough like a trout for the first ten seconds to get you excited, then generally like a wet towel for the next minute

Wow, great catching looks like an amazing outing. :clapping:

Certainly a day to remember. Wondering how the carp fought on the float rod setup?

Kemper, pretty much hit in on the head...Initially on the hookset they react pretty violently but then subside to the equivalent of fighting a beach towel. They fight some what like a brown but with a little less juice...They really hurt the ego, LOL... Although on this system they have a mix of a few different coarse fish... the redhorse (I believe that's what they are called) fight significantly harder than the average carp or sucker...They seem to have larger fan style fins and tail which give them that extra jam... Defenitly not good on the shoulder after 4 or 5 hours of pinning :D